- Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Department of Labor (DOL)
- Employment Discrimination
- Employment Liability
- Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC)
- Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
- Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
- Human Resources
- Labor Law
- Minimum Wage
- National Labor Relations Act
- National Labor Relations Board
- Right to Work
- Title VII
- Union Organizing & Relations
- Wage & Hour
- Whistleblower Protection Act
- Workplace Harassment
- Employer Self-inflicts Wounds by 'Shaving Time'
- Michigan Court of Appeals Decides Transgender Case
- What’s up at the DOL? Pulling Guidance, Changing Standards
- Commission v Bonus: What’s the Difference Under Michigan law?
- The Trend in the Law is 'Don't Ask…'
- Appellate Court's LGBT Ruling Sets Stage for Supreme Court Review
- DOL’S Fiduciary Duty Rule May Take Effect April 10... or NOT
- Appellate Court ‘Labors’ Over Collective Bargaining, Right to Work Rulings
- Employer’s Well-Played Pre-Termination Strategy Results in Favorable Ruling
- A Fibber and Two Dismissals
Welcome to The Sophisticated Employer blog! We’ve designed this blog to be a place where business owners, human resource professionals and EPLI insurance providers can come to obtain news, information and analysis on the latest in labor and employment law.
As you know, this area of the law is constantly changing with the proliferation of technology, a constantly evolving regulatory environment and the blurring of lines between work and personal time. Employers need to be more careful than ever to manage risk in this key area of their business. We hope you will check in frequently or register for our push notifications to ensure that you always remain an informed employer.
Please note that this blog is not intended to provide legal advice, and the discussions contained herein should not be applied to any fact-specific situation. Always consult an attorney directly to address any specific legal questions or needs you may have.
Meet the Editors
The Sophisticated Employer blog is published by the members of Plunkett Cooney’s Labor & Employment Practice Group and is edited by partners Carolyn M. Jereck and Brian T. McGorisk.
A partner in the firm’s Bloomfield Hills, Michigan office, Carolyn is one of Plunkett Cooney’s most seasoned employment liability attorneys and currently serves as one of the firm's department leaders. Her practice is focused on the representation of private-sector employers who become the targets of state and federal employment litigation.
Brian is a partner in the firm's Flint, Michigan office who represents clients in a number of litigation areas. He has extensive expertise defending the interests of employers in litigation involving claims of alleged sexual harassment, wrongful terminations and many other disputes arising within the employment context.
As editors of The Sophisticated Employer, Carolyn and Brian helps guide blog content development based on issue spotting, trend analysis and client feedback. Their team of bloggers are committed to providing employers with the information they need to remain ahead of the legislative and regulatory curves in today’s business environment.