As the COVID-19 pandemic rages, Michigan’s real estate industry braces for a potential wave of foreclosures and evictions.
A recent federal appellate court ruling illustrates the traps lenders could trip when state court collection actions against joint borrowers intersect with federal bankruptcy law.
Bankruptcy court rules trustees can’t claw back, as fraudulent transfers, Plus Loans taken by parents for a child’s education.
Creditors must closely scrutinize Chapter 13 cases to understand what debts are being discharged and to update business records to ensure discharged debts are not pursued post-bankruptcy.
Companies consider legal options after lawsuits were filed against them by the City of Detroit seeking to recoup pre-bankruptcy payments.
Following the U.S. Supreme Court's historic ruling on same sex marriage, federal and state lawmakers must play catch up to revise major statutes, including the U.S. Bankruptcy Code.
https://www.ftc.gov/system/files/documents/statutes/fair-credit-reporting-act/545a_fair-credit-reporting-act-0918.pdfCourt rules that bank, which accepted a borrower's voluntary payments post-bankruptcy and opted not to foreclose its security interest in the mortgage, did not violate the FCRA by reporting the loan as closed on the borrower's credit report.
Include language in standard contracts to maximize the likelihood your company is paid in the event of a customer's financial distress or bankruptcy.
- Commercial Liability
- Commercial Real Estate
- Business Risk Management
- Commercial Leasing
- Business Torts
- Regulatory Law
- Real Estate
- Civil Litigation
- Real Estate Mortgages
- Commercial Loans
- Mortgage Foreclosure
- Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR)
- Damages Recovery
- Shareholder Liability
- Risk Management
- Tax Law
- Fraud Activity
- Cyber Attack
- Class Action
- Product Liability
- Biometric Data
- Banking Law
- Statute of Limitations
- Noncompete Agreements
- Internet Law
- Consumer Protection
- Residential Liability
- Zoning and Planning
- Department of Education (DOE)
- Fair Debt Collection Practices Act
- Fair Credit Reporting Act
- Unfair Competition
- Uniform Commercial Code (UCC)
- Preliminary Injunctions in Michigan, the More They Change the More They Stay the Same
- President Biden Signs Cryptocurrency Executive Order Establishing Whole-of-Government Approach to Regulating Digital Assets Industry
- My 5 Lessons Learned from the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Am I at Fault for Breach of Contract if the Other Party Breached It First?
- Maximizing Damages Recovery in Michigan's District Courts Challenged by Jurisdiction Limits
- Proliferation of Security Cameras, Drones Doesn't Necessarily Reduce Reasonable Expectation of Privacy Under the Law
- Does Sympathy or Empathy Have a Place in the Courtroom?
- No Light Yet at End of COVID-19 Real Estate Tunnel
- When are Clear, Unambiguous Contracts Nonetheless Ambiguous?
- What the Future may Hold for Michigan Real Estate Foreclosures and Evictions