Amelia A. Bower
- Licensed Since: 1984
- Joined Firm: 2002
- Partner Since: 2006
Chicago, IL 60601
Areas of Practice
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America® for Real Estate Litigation (Copyright 2017 by Woodward/White, Inc., of Aiken, SC), 2012 - 2018
- Martindale-Hubbell’s highest rating-AV Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated
- Cleveland Marshall College of Law, J.D., 1984
- Miami University, B.A., 1977
Bar & Court Admissions
- Ohio, 1984
- Illinois, 2017
- United States District Court, Northern District of Ohio, 1985
- United States Supreme Court, 1989
- United States District Court, Southern District of Ohio, 2001
- United States District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 2017
- United States Bankruptcy Court, Northern District of Illinois, 2017
The managing partner of the firm’s Chicago, Illinois office, Amelia A. Bower is a member of the firm’s Title Insurance Law Practice Group.
Ms. Bower maintains a multi-state practice in Illinois and Ohio where she represents clients in the areas of title insurance litigation, underwriting and claims analysis, bank-related litigation, bankruptcy litigation, construction related litigation and appeals. Many of her appellate cases have resulted in published decisions.
Before joining Plunkett Cooney, Ms. Bower served the title insurance industry in many capacities, including as general counsel and underwriting counsel for a Cleveland-based agency. Prior to being licensed to practice law, Ms. Bower worked as a title officer, escrow officer and title examiner.
Ms. Bower has served as an expert witness in real estate and ethics matters, and she has the distinction of serving as co-editor for Baldwin’s Ohio Real Estate Law, which includes her chapters on Conveyancing, Dower and Oil and Gas leases.
Ms. Bower is a past chair of the Ohio State Bar Association Committee on Legal Ethics and Professionalism, as well as a past chair of the Cleveland Bar Association Certified Grievance Committee.
Representative Client Work
- Litigation involving Ohio’s Transfer on Death Deed Statute as to the question of recording post-mortem
- Litigation involving vested and inchoate dower in various courts within the state
- Litigation in the northern and southern district bankruptcy courts in Ohio as to the execution of mortgages, necessity of witnesses, validity of acknowledgments and legal description questions and the defenses of Lis Pendens and earmarking. Lead counsel for Simon v. Chase Manhattan Bank (In re Zaptocky), 232 B.R. 76 and Trenish v. NorWest Bank Minnesota N.A. (In re Periandri), 266 B. R. 651.
- Represented title agents and companies on the question of negligence of escrow and closing agents and title examiners
- Represented title companies in coverage matters relating to title insurance policies
- Represented title companies in defalcations of title agents
- Testified as an expert in real estate and ethics matters
- Ohio State Bar Association (chair, Legal Ethics and Professional Conduct Committee)
- Columbus Bar Association (member, Real Property Section)
- Cleveland Bar Association (member and officer, Certified Grievance Committee; member, Joint Bar Admissions Committee and Appeals Subcommittee)
- Ohio Land Title Association
- American Bar Association
- American Land Title Association
- United States Supreme Court
Publications & Lectures
- Phishing / Wire Fraud / Fraudulent Emails / Response Plans
- Fiduciary Deeds Transfer on Death Affidavits
- Real Property Law - Conveyancing
- Avoiding Ethical Disputes
- Impact of Bankruptcy on Real Estate and Title Insurance
- Baldwin’s Ohio Real Estate Law, Contributing Writer (2003)
- Advanced Principals of Title Insurance Law
- Mastering Real Estate Title and Title Insurance in Ohio
- Advanced Title Insurance Law in Ohio
- Professional Liability Issues for Land Surveyors
- Principles of Title Examining, Deeds and Conveyancing
- Plunkett Cooney attorneys among 2018 ‘Best Lawyers in America’
- Plunkett Cooney attorneys among 2017 ‘Best Lawyers in America’
- Plunkett Cooney attorneys among 2016 ‘Best Lawyers in America’
- Plunkett Cooney attorneys among 2015 ‘Best Lawyers in America’
- Plunkett Cooney attorneys among ‘Best Lawyers in America’ 2014
- Plunkett Cooney attorneys among ‘Best Lawyers in America’ 2013
Recent Blog Posts
- Seller’s Proceeds are Gone via Phishing, Hacking or Cyber Fraud! What do I do now?
- Appellate Court Addresses Constructive Notice, Missing Legal Descriptions on Mortgage
- The Case of the Vanishing Mortgage Challenge
- Bankruptcy Court Rules Surrender of Title not Determinative of Mobile Home’s Status as Real Estate or Personal Property
- (When) Is It Safe to Exclude a Mortgage With a Faulty Legal Description as an Exception to Title?
- Ohio Supreme Court Set to Tackle Dormant Minerals Act, Legacy Trust Act in New Year