Maryanne B. Foster
- Licensed Since: 1994
- Joined Firm: 2011
- Partner Since: 2016
Bloomfield Hills, MI 48304
Areas of Practice
Honors & Awards
- Justice Frank Murphy Honor Society
- American Jurisprudence Awards in Contracts and Professional Responsibility
- U.S. Attorney's Office, Eastern District of Michigan, 1993
- University of Detroit School of Law, Cum Laude, J.D., 1994
- Michigan State University, B.A., 1987
Bar & Court Admissions
- Michigan, 1994
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan, 1995
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana, 2014
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana, 2016
- Pro Hac Vice Admission in Ohio, Kentucky, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Mississippi, Indiana, Illinois and Iowa
Maryanne B. Foster is a partner in the firm's Bloomfield Hills office who practices exclusively in the area of insurance coverage.
Ms. Foster has been employed both in house and in private practice representing and counseling insurance companies for more than 20 years. She has represented and counseled insurance companies in insurance coverage matters arising from claims involving bad faith, construction defects, mass torts, environmental, defective manufacturing and/or products, asbestos, mold, Chinese drywall, personal and advertising injuries, employers liability and errors and omissions.
Representative Client Work
- Represented an insurance company in litigation regarding insurance coverage for environmental liability claims from multiple sites involving thousands of underlying property damage and bodily injury claims.
- Represented an insurance company in coverage litigation with a Big Three auto supplier that sought insurance coverage for all historical asbestos claims against it.
- Represented an insurance company in a coverage dispute with a product manufacturer in connection with an underlying suit involving thousands of window failure claims.
- Represented an insurance company in a coverage dispute with a national home builder for numerous defective construction lawsuits.
- Represented an insurance company in litigation regarding the extent of insurance coverage available under an errors and omissions endorsement.
- Mediated and resolved construction defect lawsuits involving insurance coverage disputes for a national property and casualty insurer.
In House Coverage Experience
- Served fours years as a senior coverage attorney for national property casualty insurer. Provided daily coverage recommendations to senior management on numerous underlying claims and suits throughout the United States involving construction defects, pollution, mold, Chinese drywall, asbestos, commercial auto and trucking, product defect, personal and advertising injuries and bad faith.
- Supported claim specialists and senior management as coverage litigation consultant and participated in underwriting revisions to various policy forms, including contracting and manufacturing endorsements and exclusions.
- Presented multiple training seminars to field claim offices, agencies and insureds on issues involving risk transfer, contractual indemnity and additional insurance.
- State Bar of Michigan (Insurance and Indemnity Law Section)
- DRI - The Voice of the Defense Bar
Lectures and Presentations
- “The Evolution of the Additional Insured Endorsement and its Impact on Coverage for Construction Claims,” Co-Author, Tort Trial and Insurance Practice section of the American Bar Association, Re-published by ALFA International’s Construction Practice Group, 2016
- Risk transfer seminar addressing contractual indemnity (Florida law) and additional insurance issues for national insurance agency and its policyholders, Presenter, Maitland, Florida, October 2009
- Risk transfer seminar, including contractual indemnity (Florida law) and additional insurance issues for national insurance agency and its contractor and subcontractor policyholders, Presenter, Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, September 2009
- Contractual indemnity (Florida, Alabama and Mississippi law) and additional insurance issues for national insurance agency, Lecturer, Birmingham, Alabama, May 2009
- Claim handling seminar addressing risk transfer assessment and evaluation for major property and casualty claims office, Presenter, Farmington Hills, Michigan, October 2008
- Risk transfer seminar addressing contractual indemnity statutes in multiple states, and additional insured issues for national insurance agency, Presenter, St. Louis, Missouri, April 2008
- Risk transfer seminar, including contractual indemnity (Florida law) and additional insurance issues for national insurance agency, Presenter, Pompano Beach, Florida, February 2008
- Insurance coverage/risk transfer seminar to national home builder, Presenter, Novi, Michigan, October 2007
- Major property and casualty carrier seminar regarding an insurer’s obligations when defending under a reservation of rights, Presenter, Dover, New Hampshire, November 2006
- Major property and casualty insurer regarding developments in Michigan law seminar regarding insurance coverage and the no fault statute, Presenter, Indianapolis, Indiana, September 2000