Andrew M. Hopko
- Licensed Since: 2011
- Joined Firm: 2015
Bloomfield Hills, MI 48304
Areas of Practice
- Wayne State University Law School, J.D., 2007
- Syracuse University, M.S., 2002
- Wayne State University, B.A., 1999
Bar & Court Admissions
- Michigan, 2011
An attorney in the firm’s Bloomfield Hills office, Andrew M. Hopko practices in the areas of estate planning, probate and trust administration, elder law, special needs planning and probate litigation.
Mr. Hopko works with clients in all aspects of estate planning and probate law, from helping clients identify and create their estate plans to post-death administration of trusts and estates. He also has extensive experience in guardianship and conservatorship proceedings.
As part of his elder law practice, Mr. Hopko works extensively with clients to protect their assets while establishing eligibility for Medicaid and other government programs to help with the costs of long-term care. In the area of special needs planning, he works with clients to create plans that provide continuing long-term financial support while helping the beneficiaries remain eligible for numerous government benefits.
Mr. Hopko has also worked with area nursing homes to increase the efficiency of their Medicaid management and to help the facilities substantially reduce financial losses.
Prior to joining Plunkett Cooney, Mr. Hopko was often appointed by the Macomb County Probate Court to perform Guardian Ad Litem duties and to provide his professional opinion on a wide range of probate issues.
In addition to probate, estate planning and elder law matters, Mr. Hopko has extensive experience in family law and residential real estate.
Representative Client Work
- Successfully litigated the estates of numerous decedents in probate litigation
- Negotiated and obtained six-figure settlements on multiple occasions for clients
- Developed Medicaid management programs for area nursing homes
- Performed duties and fulfilled requirements imposed by probate courts for public guardians and conservators
- Macomb County Probate Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan (Probate & Estate Planning, Elder Law & Disability Rights, and Family Law sections)