John P. Deegan
- Licensed Since: 1996
- Joined Firm: 1999
- Partner Since: 2009
Petoskey, MI 49770
Areas of Practice
- Birth Trauma Litigation
- Continuing Education
- Extended Care Facilities
- Medical Litigation
- Medical Mass Torts/Class Actions
- Medical Rapid Response Team
- Motor Vehicle Negligence
- Premises Liability
- Sexual Assault Allegations
- Ski Liability
- State Medical Investigations
- Workers' Compensation
- University of Detroit Mercy School of Law, J.D., 1995
- Albion College, B.A., 1992
Bar & Court Admissions
- Michigan, 1996
John (Jack) P. Deegan is a partner in the firm’s Petoskey office who concentrates his litigation practice in the areas of motor vehicle negligence, product liability, premises liability, medical malpractice, workers’ compensation, ski area liability, property disputes, will and trust/estate litigation, family law/divorce and commercial litigation. He also serves as a case evaluator in Emmet and Charlevoix County Circuit Court on various civil matters.
Mr. Deegan has extensive litigation experience and has successfully litigated various matters to successful conclusion, including obtaining numerous motions for summary disposition and dismissals for his clients in the areas of medical malpractice, auto negligence, premises liability and ski area liability.
In the medical malpractice field, Mr. Deegan has written and successfully argued numerous motions for summary disposition. He has also obtained successful trial verdicts for his clients in the areas of auto negligence, construction liability and workers compensation.
Mr. Deegan has presented various seminars to both insurance companies and employers as to specific workers compensation issues. Mr. Deegan is also actively involved in the Association of Ski Defense Attorneys (ASDA) attending various annual conferences, as well as conferences regarding ski/snowboard terrain park safety and training.
- State Bar of Michigan
- Emmet/Charlevoix County Bar Association
- Incorporated Society of Irish American Trial Lawyers
- Association of Ski Defense Attorneys (President, 2016-2017)
- MDTC- Northern Michigan Regional Chairperson representative
- Federation Defense and Corporate Counsel Leadership Training seminar participant, 2008
Publications & Lectures
- Association of Ski Defense Attorneys 2017 Winter Conference and Seminar, Host, Park City/Canyons Village, Utah, March 4 – 6, 2017
- "Ski/Snowboard Terrain Park Safety and Training," Midwest Ski Association Terrain Park Management Seminar, March 2008
- City of Harbor Springs Planning Commission (Member – Appointed)
- Harbor, Inc Board of Directors- Local Urban Growth Planning Board
- Member Holy Childhood Catholic Church
- Mr. Deegan is very active in the local running, triathlon and nordic/alpine/telemark skiing community, including having 40 marathon finishes (including four Boston Marathon finishes) and five ironman triathlon finishes.