Brett T. Meyer
- Licensed Since: 2011
- Joined Firm: 2019
333 Bridge N.W., Suite 530
Grand Rapids, MI 49504
Areas of Practice
- Civil Rights
- Education Law
- Governmental Law
- Insurance Law
- Labor & Employment Law
- Motor Vehicle Negligence
- Premises Liability
Honors & Awards
- Jurisprudence Award for Achievement in Estate and Gift Taxation
- State Bar of Michigan Tax Student Achievement Award Recipient
- Merit Scholarship Recipient
- Journal of Medicine and Law, Associate Editor, 2010
- Journal of Medicine and Law, Managing Editor of Business, 2010-11
- Michigan State University College of Law, magna cum laude, J.D., 2011
- Michigan State University, with honors, B.A., 2008
Bar & Court Admissions
- Michigan, 2011
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan, 2012
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan, 2012
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit, 2012
Brett T. Meyer is a member of Plunkett Cooney’s Governmental Law Practice Group. As an associate in the firm’s Grand Rapids office, Mr. Meyer focuses his practice on the defense of litigation in the areas of municipal law and premises liability, as well as on the defense of personal injury actions.
Mr. Meyer represents insurance carriers, public entities and municipalities, either through direct representation or insurance providers, in disputes involving constitutional or civil rights, state and federal immunity issues, police liability, employment law and contract issues.
Mr. Meyer also has experience with conducting workplace investigations and providing workplace training and counseling for public and private employees regarding federal and state labor and employment laws.
In addition to his governmental practice, Mr. Meyer has experience handling personal injury and property damage litigation, including actions relating to premises liability, automobile negligence and dog bite liability.
Representative Client Work
- As lead counsel, obtained a no cause verdict in a negligence and warranty action against an automotive dealership following a multi-week trial jury trial. The plaintiff had previously received a case evaluation award of $325,000.
- As lead counsel, obtained a no cause verdict following a federal jury trial in an action involving claims of excessive force by police officer
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a municipality in a putative class action alleging Fourth Amendment violations for city’s method of enforcing parking regulations
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a municipality in a putative class action involving various alleged constitutional violations regarding city’s enforcement of administrative ordinances
- Obtained summary judgment in several cases involving alleged unconstitutional police conduct
- Obtained summary disposition of all claims against a municipality in breach of contract action arising out of the city’s administration of multi-million dollar grant
- Obtained summary disposition of all claims against a municipality in employment case involving claims of gender discrimination and retaliation, and successfully defended result in the Michigan Court of Appeals
- Obtained reversal by the Michigan Supreme Court of a Michigan Court of Appeals ruling in an action involving issues of governmental immunity under Michigan’s Governmental Tort Liability Act. The Supreme Court reinstated the circuit court’s grant of summary disposition.
- Obtained grant of application for leave to appeal by the Michigan Court of Appeals in employment action involving alleged violations of Michigan’s Whistleblower’s Protection Act
- Obtained summary disposition based upon governmental immunity in action involving alleged personal injuries relating to a defective public building and Successfully defended that result in the Michigan Court of Appeals
- Persuaded the Michigan Supreme Court to reverse the Michigan Court of Appeals’ denial of application for leave to appeal in employment action involving alleged state constitutional violations and age discrimination
- Obtained summary disposition of all claims against private individual relating to workplace dispute
- Represented municipality in administrative hearings relating to enforcement of local ordinances
- Obtained summary disposition in numerous premises liability actions throughout Michigan
- Obtained summary disposition in numerous automobile negligence actions throughout Michigan
- Conducted workplace investigations for public and private employers relating to allegations of employee misconduct
- Conducted training for public and private employers regarding compliance with federal and state laws
- State Bar of Michigan