Through its Governmental Law Practice Group, Plunkett Cooney has represented over 600 municipalities in Michigan in litigation in all levels of state and federal court.
Attorneys in this practice group have handled virtually every issue that can be brought against municipalities and municipal officials at the trial court level. Plunkett Cooney attorneys have also been successful in obtaining the dismissal of hundreds of cases without the necessity of a trial. The firm is considered to be among the most experienced in the State of Michigan in defending municipalities.
Whether the claim is sewer overflows, police misconduct, excessive force, an alleged First Amendment violation, discrimination in employment or the providing of public services, a motor vehicle accident or a fall on a public sidewalk, Plunkett Cooney attorneys have the expertise to successfully defend municipalities in every venue in the state.
The Municipal Law Practice Group has been successful in expanding the scope of its practice because of its recognized leadership in the area of municipal tort liability defense and the firm's aggressive assertion of governmental immunity provisions that exist in Michigan. Our attorneys emphasize the importance of loss prevention through a wide range of seminars, workshops, and other educational opportunities.
Our attorneys belong to and have attained leadership positions in such organizations as the Public Corporation Law Section of the State Bar of Michigan, Association of Defense Trial Counsel, Michigan Defense Trial Counsel, and Defense Research Institute, Inc., among others.
Inquiries with respect to the firm's governmental law practice can be directed to Audrey J. Forbush, (810) 342-7014, email@example.com or Rochelle L. Clarke, (810) 342-7020, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Plunkett Cooney helps municipality preserve environment along Lake Michigan's coastline
- Firm successfully defends Freedom of Information Act case which is upheld by Michigan Supreme Court
- Plunkett Cooney names five attorneys as new shareholders
- DBusiness names Plunkett Cooney attorneys among Top Lawyers
- DeLorenzo appointed to State Bar of Michigan Board of Commissioners
- Business Publication Names Plunkett Cooney ‘Law Firm of the Year’
- Plunkett Cooney attorneys among 2018 Michigan ‘Super Lawyers’
- Plunkett Cooney attorneys among 2019 'Best Lawyers in America'
- McGiffert joins firm’s management team as first director of diversity
- Plunkett Cooney announces board election results
- FOIA Takes Confidentiality Out of Settlement Agreements
- Local Anti-Discrimination Ordinances and the First Amendment: Walking a Fine Line
- Supreme Court Rules Injury Description Required in Pre-suit Notice
- A Sign of the Times – U.S. Supreme Court Ruling Impacts Municipal Sign Ordinances
- Don’t Drone On: A Synopsis of Federal And State Law On Unmanned Aerial Vehicles
- Big Changes Coming Soon to Michigan’s Freedom of Information Act