To learn more about the issues involved in this practice area, visit and subscribe to Plunkett Cooney's Litigation Defenders blog.
- Torts & Litigation
- Liquor Liability
- Premises Liability
- Residential Liability
- Retail Liability
- Ski Liability
- Third Party Criminal Acts
- Veterinary Malpractice
Practice Group Leader(s)
View Practice Group Members
Mounting challenges from a weak economy, increased competition and sustained litigation efforts by the plaintiffs’ bar have forced retailers to intensify their efforts to remain viable.
For decades, Plunkett Cooney has been a partner to the retail industry in meeting such challenges through its comprehensive approach to provide timely and practical business counsel and aggressive defense of litigation in virtually all areas of retail liability.
Plunkett Cooney’s Retail Industry Group represents many of the nation’s leading chains, including big box stores, department stores, discount retailers, hardware stores, grocery stores and pharmacies, as well as owners/operators of malls and other retail developments. The firm’s clients also include regional and local companies with locations throughout the states of Michigan, Ohio and Indiana.
The Retail Industry Group features attorneys from the firm’s various practice areas, many of whom have extensive transactional and dispute resolution expertise. They represent the interests of their clients in a range of engagements, including defense of litigation resulting from falling merchandise; slip, trip and falls; general negligence; environmental issues; security/loss prevention claims; employment-related actions; workers’ compensation claims; product liability and trucking/transportation issues.
Corporate services include real estate development and leasing; regulatory compliance; franchise law; business litigation; corporate law; contract negotiation, drafting and review; governmental relations; bankruptcy and creditors’ rights; commercial collections and many others.
The hallmarks of the Retail Industry Group’s approach to client service include regional coverage of assignments throughout three Midwestern states, flexible assignment and litigation planning, competitive rates and “right-sized” legal teams that are focused on protecting each client’s unique interests and achieving their business objectives.
NewsView All »
Recent Blog Posts
- Court Reinforces Principle That Landowners Generally Have no Duty to Prevent Criminal Acts
- Phantom Employees Create a 'Question of Fact' for Notice Defense
- Gift of the Magi-ority: Supreme Court Hands Premises Owners Golden Opinion on Notice Defense
- When Documenting Incidents What you Don't see on Video may be 'Must See TV'
- Witness Statements Bolster Incident Documentation
- The Importance of Incident Reports in Premises Liability Claims
- Incident Documentation Series - The Need for Thorough Inspections
- Caught on Tape: A Shift in Premises Liability?
- Lovette or Leave It - Constructive Notice in Premises Liability Cases
- Difference in Factual Circumstance Can Change Invitee’s Legal Status