To learn more about the issues involved in this practice area, visit and subscribe to Plunkett Cooney’s Essential Environment & Energy Blog.
- Administrative & Regulatory Law
- Appellate Law
- Banking, Bankruptcy & Creditors' Rights Law
- Business Enterprises Law
- Commercial Litigation
- Construction Law
- Environmental Law
- Immigration Law
- International Law
- Labor & Employment Law
- Real Estate Law
- Torts & Litigation
Practice Group Leader(s)
View Practice Group Members
Keeping pace with ever growing demand is the leading challenge for the world’s energy providers, and Plunkett Cooney has been a decade’s long partner in the effort to provide traditional energy sources and, more recently, to develop and bring to market sources of alternative and renewable energy.
Utilizing a cross-discipline approach, Plunkett Cooney’s Environment, Energy and Resources Law Group includes attorneys with specific expertise in transactional and government-related areas of practice. These services include contract negotiation, employment law, business litigation, energy regulatory compliance, environmental matters, governmental relations, finance and many others.
Plunkett Cooney works with national and multi-national corporations to provide regional and local counsel throughout the Midwest. The firm provides comprehensive due diligence services to companies seeking to establish or enhance operations within the region by bringing together services providers and government partners to quickly, efficiently and proactively address each client’s unique needs.
The firm’s clients include traditional energy producers, distributors, public utilities, transportation companies, equipment suppliers, and other corporations investing in alternative and renewable energy development. Plunkett Cooney attorneys are involved in energy industry organizations and are active internationally in chambers of commerce and with government agencies seeking to expand efforts to develop and market renewable and alternative forms of energy.
- Provide advice and counsel to manufacturers seeking to diversify business plans by engineering and producing renewable and alternative energy products for the wind, solar and hybrid battery technology industries
- Negotiated on behalf of a major corporation a multi-million-dollar agreement containing extremely favorable and flexible terms for the purchase of energy under one of the first regional commercial heat exchange energy savings plans in Germany
- Provide legal counsel for environmental and related matters for one of the largest natural gas cogeneration electricity generators in North America.
- Assist businesses with securing tax credits and other government incentives based on new investments to further develop the alternative and renewable energy industries in Michigan
- Work with corporate, academic and government officials to foster transatlantic investments in alternative and renewable energy technology in the United States by European partners
- Provide legal counsel to municipalities regarding installation of landfill gas-to-energy facilities at existing landfill sites.
- Represented a commercial real estate developer/management company in the negotiation of commercial energy delivery contracts to supply power to super malls and other developments anchored by major retail tenants
- Construction Industry Focuses On Energy Efficiency, Relate Cost Increases
- Lead-based Paint Information Pamphlet Today Keeps Penalties Away
- New EPA Requirements Control Surface Water Contamination on Construction Sites
- Legal and business issues abound in fertile ‘green’ construction world
- EPA Issues Guidance to States and Regulated Community on New GHG Air Permitting Rules
- General Services Administration will require sustainability for federal government vendors
Recent Blog Posts
- New Administration Moves Quickly on Environmental Front
- New Administration Delays Sewage Overflow Rule for More Study
- Michigan Lawmakers Ease Access to Underground Storage Tank Clean-up Funds
- Reading the Tea Leaves on Medical Marijuana Solid Waste Regulation in Michigan
- Renewable Energy Poised to Thrive Under any White House
- HUD Proposes New Lead-based Paint Rule to Protect Kids
- EPA Turns to Mandatory Victim's Restitution Act to Recover Costs
- Great Lakes Compact Worked as Designed in Diversion Approval
- Ballast Water Bill at Risk of Becoming Law Without Debate
- New Michigan Policies Make Energy Efficiency a Priority