Plunkett Cooney’s cannabis industry practice includes a multi-disciplinary group of attorneys who provide specialized advice to cannabis business clients tailored to their specific needs.
The firm was among the first in the Midwest to launch a Cannabis Industry Group with the goals of providing quality legal advice and treating cannabis businesses as businesses – albeit with some very specific issues not normally experienced by more traditional businesses.
Plunkett Cooney attorneys provide advice on corporate formation, corporate transactions, real estate transactions, local government relations, administrative law, licensing, appeals, environmental law, labor law, litigation, banking and tax law – all geared toward the cannabis-related business world.
Currently, our attorneys represent over 70 cannabis businesses and provide legal advice and guidance on all the possible legal issues that may arise. As the cannabis industry expands, so does our practice group. The firm was instrumental in obtaining, on behalf of our clients, some of the first medical cannabis business licenses issued by the state of Michigan. The firm is now working with clients to obtain recreational licenses in both Michigan and Illinois, and, as more states decriminalize or legalize cannabis, the firm will be on the forefront of helping guide its clients through the legal and business issues that follow.
Below is a summary of our many areas of expertise:
Corporate Law: Our attorneys assist with corporate formations and structure of cannabis businesses in order to conform with tax and licensing laws.
Environmental: Group members assist clients with compliance issues related to waste disposal, wetlands, floodplains, air emissions, odor control and other similar considerations with cannabis operations.
Government Affairs: Plunkett Cooney attorneys represent clients before municipal boards to achieve local approval (planning and zoning boards, etc.) and advocate for their clients with state agencies. In litigation, they work to obtain zoning approvals upon initial rejection.
Licensing: In Michigan, for example, our attorneys prepare State Prequalification (Step 1) and Facility License (Step 2) Applications and assist clients with inquiries from regulators during the licensing process, and they assist clients with municipal applications and appeals.
Operational Compliance: Plunkett Cooney’s attorneys assist their clients with the development of business plans, safety plans, employee handbooks, and building and fire code compliance.
Real Estate and Business Transactions: Our attorneys assist clients in the sale and leasing of municipally-approved locations for cannabis facilities and sales of operating entities.
Tax Law: Group members also advise their clients on state and federal tax requirements and payments.
View Team Members
- PartnerEmail | (616) 752-4624
- PartnerEmail | (248) 901-4029
- AssociateEmail | (248) 594-2794
- Of CounselEmail | (248) 594-5683
- Of CounselEmail | (313) 983-4848
- ParalegalEmail | (248) 594-8267
- PartnerEmail | (248) 901-4074
- Senior Attorney, Practice Group LeaderEmail | (248) 901-4022
- AssociateEmail | (248) 594-6312
- Partner, Practice Group LeaderEmail | (248) 594-2796
- AssociateEmail | (248) 594-5734
- AssociateEmail | (312) 970-3419
- WDIV Channel 4 News, 11.14.2019
- www.mibiz.com, 08.19.2019
- News Talk 760 WJR-AM, 10.04.2017
- WDIV Local 4 - Detroit, 08.21.2017
- GoToWebinar, 02.13.2020
- GoToWebinar, 07.30.2019
- Webinar, 02.28.2019
- Crain's Detroit Business, 10.29.2018
- Cannabiz Law Blog, 09.14.2020
- Cannabiz Law Blog, 05.29.2020
- Cannabiz Law Blog, 05.26.2020
- Federal COVID-19 aid to Currently ‘Essential but not Eligible’ Cannabis Businesses may be ForthcomingCannabiz Law Blog, 04.28.2020
- Cannabiz Law Blog, 03.30.2020
- Cannabiz Law Blog, 03.25.2020
- The Sophisticated Employer Blog, 12.04.2019
- 2020 Presidential Election may be Best Chance to win Voter Approval for Local Cannabis Ballot ProposalsCannabiz Law Blog, 11.21.2019
- Cannabiz Law Blog, 11.18.2019
- The Essential Environmental & Energy Blog, 11.12.2019
- Cannabiz Law Blog, 11.11.2019
- Cannabiz Law Blog, 07.31.2019
- Cannabiz Law Blog, 06.26.2019
- Cannabiz Law Blog, 06.11.2019
- The Essential Environmental & Energy Blog, 06.11.2019
- Cannabiz Law Blog, 06.06.2019
- Cannabiz Law Blog, 05.20.2019
- Cannabiz Law Blog, 04.19.2019
- Cannabiz Law Blog, 03.14.2019
- Cannabiz Law Blog, 03.08.2019
- Cannabiz Law Blog, 03.06.2019
- Cannabiz Law Blog, 03.05.2019
- Cannabiz Law Blog, 02.19.2019
- Cannabiz Law Blog, 02.14.2019
- Cannabiz Law Blog, 01.17.2019
- Cannabiz Law Blog, 01.04.2019
- Cannabiz Law Blog, 10.31.2018
- Cannabiz Law Blog, 10.30.2018
- Cannabiz Law Blog, 10.24.2018
- Cannabiz Law Blog, 09.14.2018
- Cannabiz Law Blog, 09.12.2018
- Cannabiz Law Blog, 06.01.2018
- Cannabiz Law Blog, 05.18.2018
- Cannabiz Law Blog, 04.27.2018
- Cannabiz Law Blog, 04.12.2018
- Cannabiz Law Blog, 04.11.2018
- Cannabiz Law Blog, 02.19.2018
- Cannabiz Law Blog, 01.25.2018
- Cannabiz Law Blog, 01.12.2018
- Cannabiz Law Blog, 01.04.2018
- Cannabiz Law Blog, 09.21.2017
- Cannabiz Law Blog, 09.18.2017
- The Sophisticated Employer Blog, 08.24.2017
- Is Licensing Board on Verge of Overstepping Authority with Proposal to Close Cannabis Dispensaries Statewide?Cannabiz Law Blog, 08.23.2017
- Cannabiz Law Blog, 07.20.2017
- Cannabiz Law Blog, 07.06.2017
- Cannabiz Law Blog, 04.11.2017