Plunkett Cooney’s Government Affairs Practice Group provides representation and assistance to the firm’s clients before local municipalities, counties, state agencies and the Michigan Legislature.
With offices throughout Michigan, Plunkett Cooney attorneys are positioned to provide professional assistance on complex matters before regulatory agencies and on a broad range of local governmental matters. The expertise of group members includes the following:
• Advocating for the approval of zoning and planning requests before local governments and the negotiation of development agreements;
• Representation of clients during hearings with local, county and state regulatory agencies;
• Work with clients to acquire state and local governmental incentives for development;
• Preparation of legislation and assistance with its introduction;
• Assisting clients with implementation of new state laws and regulations such as those related to Michigan’s medical cannabis law.
The experience of our Practice Group in governmental matters is significant and supported by members who have served in the public sector. Practice Group members include past elected or appointed officials, a member of the Attorney General’s Office, and former counsel to the Michigan Senate Majority Leader. This experience gives Plunkett Cooney attorneys a unique perspective, as they are well-versed in the governmental decision making process from the “inside.”
Leading the Government Affairs Practice Group is Dennis Cowan who is the former Mayor of Royal Oak, Michigan (1993-2001) and former Oakland County Republican Party Chair (2004-2008). He works with government officials on a bipartisan basis to achieve client goals.
Whatever the challenge may be for your business at any level of government, the members of Plunkett Cooney’s Government Affairs Practice Group are prepared to assist. They have helped develop creative solutions to meet the challenges of dealing with local, county and state governments.
View Team Members
- WDIV Local 4 - Detroit, 06.27.2018
- Detroiter Magazine, 06.07.2018
- The Oakland Press, 04.13.2015
- Crain's Detroit Business Capital Briefing Blog, 03.17.2013
- DRI’s For the Defense Magazine • July 2013 Edition, 09.20.2013
- Crain's Detroit Business, 10.29.2018
- Cannabiz Law Blog, 03.05.2019
- Cannabiz Law Blog, 02.19.2018
- Is Licensing Board on Verge of Overstepping Authority with Proposal to Close Cannabis Dispensaries Statewide?Cannabiz Law Blog, 08.23.2017
- The Essential Environmental & Energy Blog, 03.19.2015