Alan Shamoun is an attorney in Plunkett Cooney’s Business Law Department who focuses his practice primarily on tax conflicts on behalf of individuals and corporations. His practice also includes expertise in the areas of corporate tax and estate planning.
Whether clients have issues related to unfiled returns, owing back taxes or IRS audits, Mr. Shamoun guides them through the legal process and tailors personalized solutions that are unique to their specific situations. He uses all methods available under the law to lessen the tax burden of his clients and to protect their legal rights.
Mr. Shamoun has handled hundreds of cases dealing with the IRS and various state agencies. He has worked with clients to create custom strategic plans to avoid bank levies, wage garnishments and liens from being filed against them or their business, and he has saved his clients millions of dollars through tax settlements.
In addition to his tax law practice, Mr. Shamoun has experience handling matters involving commercial real estate, employment law and corporate transactions, including franchise agreements, business formations and regulatory compliance.
Representative Client Work
- Represented numerous personal and business clients under audit by the Internal Revenue Service or state
- Represented business owners before the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan for criminal tax evasion
- Advised clients on tax planning strategies for business formation, mergers, acquisitions and winding down
- Negotiated settlement of $7,000 for a client who owed a combined $1.4 million to the IRS and state of Michigan
- Advised clients on various international tax issues, treatment of cryptocurencies such as Bitcoin, and recent changes in the tax law
- Chaldean American Chamber of Commerce
- State Bar of Michigan - Real Property Law, Taxation, Marijuana Law and Young Lawyers sections
- "Regulation is Needed Now for Cryptocurrency Market," Detroit Legal News, 05/23/2018
Areas of Practice
- University of Detroit Mercy School of Law, cum laude, J.D., 2012
- Wayne State University, B.S., 2006
- Michigan, 2013
- U.S. Tax Court, 2015
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan, 2016
Honors & Recognitions
- Top Lawyer in Tax, DBusiness magazine, 2018
- Voice for Justice Public Interest Fellowship
- Moot Court Board of Advocates (Senior Member; Director of Finance)
- Michigan Lawyer Weekly, May 3, 2019
- WDIV Channel 4 News, 04.15.2019
- Labor and Employment Lawnotes (Fall 2018), Vol. 28, No. 3, 11.01.2018
- Cannabiz Law Blog, 02.19.2019
- The Sophisticated Employer Blog, 11.14.2018
- Cannabiz Law Blog, 10.31.2018
- Don't Bet the Business, 06.25.2018