Anthony J. Rusciano is a member of the firm’s Commercial Litigation and Healthcare practice groups. He concentrates his practice in the area of commercial litigation, including disputes, which confront such issues as anti-trust, intellectual property, breach of contract, unfair competition, condemnation, business torts, and labor and employment.
An accomplished trial attorney, Mr. Rusciano routinely represents clients in high exposure and often high profile litigation in the state and federal courts in Michigan. He also regularly advises corporations seeking to gain access to new markets through supplier diversity initiatives.
Representative Client Work
- On behalf of one of the nation's leading marketing and media services companies, obtained a $300 million jury verdict as co-counsel in a high profile unfair competition case against Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation. The verdict is the largest jury award in the history of the state of Michigan.
- Secured $26.5 million verdict in favor of software development company client following a six-week federal court jury trial that involved claims of misappropriation of trade secrets, tortious interference and breach of contract. The jury determined the defendant company’s misappropriation was willful and malicious.
- Represented public employee retirement systems as special counsel in prosecution of breach of fiduciary duty claims against promoters
- Defended a large cemetery in a dispute with a municipality concerning eminent domain issues.
- Defended a Michigan city in a condemnation dispute with a township.
- Following a three-week jury trial, received favorable verdicts on behalf of the defendant client in a case involving claims by the plaintiff that the defendant usurped a corporate duty and breached his fiduciary responsibilities as an officer and director
- As co-counsel for an integrated multi-provider network, prosecuted a multi-million dollar arbitration claim for breach of a managed care contract, resulting in mid-seven-figures settlement in client's favor.
- Defended a Michigan village in a condemnation action involving a landowner.
- Represented several defendants in a federal district court case involving the sale of a wholly owned subsidiary. The plaintiff attempted to recover damages on theories of securities fraud (Count I), violation of section 1962 (b) of the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO), breach of fiduciary duties (Count III), common law fraud (Count IV), and conspiracy to defraud (Count V). After a three-week jury trial, the plaintiff prevailed on a general verdict in the amount of approximately $350,000 which included all interest and costs, a result with which the defendants were very pleased.
- Defended a large technology company in a multi-million dollar breach of contract action with an Ohio business.
- Represented businesses in various internal discrimination investigations and also audits by different federal agencies.
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan
- Oakland County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- American Health Lawyers Association
- ALFA International (Health Care Practice Group Steering Committee)
- Special Prosecuting Attorney, 1979
- Special Assistant Attorney General, Michigan, 1979-80
- New Detroit , Member of the Board of Trustees
- Downtown Detroit Partnership, Member of the Board of Trustees
- Bloomfield Chase Homeowners Association, Member of the Board of Directors
Publications and Lectures
- Michigan Employment Law, general editor, Lawyers Cooperative Publishing Co., 1992
- Lecturer on public officials’ liability to the Michigan Municipal League and Public Corporation Law Section of the State Bar of Michigan
- Lecturer on wrongful discharge and employment discrimination law to Michigan Association of Certified Public Accountants, Association of Defense Trial Counsel and the Defense Research Institute
- “Bakke v The Regents of the University of California: Preferential Racial Admissions, An Unconstitutional Road Paved with Good Intentions?” 12 New England Law Review 719, 1978
Areas of Practice
- Law Clerk to Hon. Steven N. Andrews, Oakland County Circuit Court, 6th Judicial Circuit, Michigan, 1978-79
- New England School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 1978
- Colgate University, B.A., 1971
- Michigan, 1979
- Massachusetts, 1979
Honors & Recognitions
- Martindale Hubbell’s highest rating-AV Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated
- Michigan Super Lawyer in Business Litigation, 2006 - 2007, 2015 - 2019
- Top Lawyer in Health Care Law, dbusiness Magazine, 2016, 2020
- American Jurisprudence Awards in Torts and Contracts
- Honors Moot Court - New England School of Law, 1976
- New England Law Review, Editor-in-Chief, 1977 - 1978
- DBusiness magazine, 12.02.2015
- Michigan Super Lawyers, 10.21.2015