D’Antae D. Gooden is a member of the firm’s Labor and Employment Law and Torts & Litigation practice groups who focuses his practice primarily in the area of employment law, including litigation involving alleged discrimination, retaliation and civil rights claims brought under state and federal statutes.
Mr. Gooden also has experience in the defense of municipalities, such as police liability issues, use of force, civil rights, whistleblower, sexual harassment, wrongful discharge, retaliation, and personal injury. Mr. Gooden also represents several national retailers in disputes involving premises liability and general negligence claims.
Admitted to the State Bar of Michigan, Mr. Gooden serves as Co-chair of Plunkett Cooney's Diversity & Inclusion Committee. He is also a member of the D. Augustus Straker Bar Association and Wolverine Bar Association.
Representative Client Work
- Successfully obtained a dismissal for a municipal client involved in a tax assessment dispute with a local business
- Successfully obtained a new tax valuation for a business client, saving the client $150,000 in tax liability
- Defended self-insurers in premises liability and general negligence matters, and he obtained summary disposition in premises liability claims
- Argued and obtained summary disposition on behalf of no-fault carriers regarding threshold, priority and coverage disputes
- D. Augustus Straker Bar Association
- Wolverine Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan
- University of Detroit Mercy School of Law, cum laude, J.D., 2018
- Michigan State University, magna cum laude, B.A., 2015
- Michigan, 2018
Honors & Recognitions
- Detroit Mercy Law Dean’s Fellow
- Moot Court Board of Advocates
- Book Awards: Advanced Advocacy, Employment Litigation