Heather D. Cholagh is a senior attorney in the firm’s Transportation Law Practice Group. Her litigation practice includes the defense of first- and third-party motor vehicle claims on behalf of major insurance companies and its insureds.
A former assistant prosecuting attorney for the Wayne County Prosecutor’s office, Ms. Cholagh also has extensive experience in the insurance industry having previously served as in-house counsel for a major international insurance provider. Her insurance expertise includes general insurance litigation, including auto claims involving insurance fraud, personal injury protection, uninsured motorist and subrogation claims.
In addition to her insurance practice, Ms. Cholagh has experience handling bankruptcy matters, creditors’ rights issues, real estate litigation and title insurance fraud.
Representative Client Work
- Provided both pre-litigation and post-litigation claims stage advice to insurers and defended insurers in coverage litigation
- Obtained summary judgment in matters involving insurance fraud where the insured intentionally misrepresented information to obtain no-fault benefits
- Obtained dismissals of first-party no-fault cases based on arguments of failure to cooperate, fraud, misrepresentation and violations of court orders
- Argued numerous RICO motions for summary disposition resulting in the dismissals of medical provider suits against insurers
- Represented mortgage companies and lending institutions in bankruptcy proceedings and litigation in all stages of Chapter 7, 11, and 13, including default issues, dischargeability actions, automatic stay issues, preference actions, fraudulent conveyances, title issues and claims allowance
- Represented Fortune 100 and 500 companies, including various automobile companies and financial institutions, in both state and federal court, with respect to creditors' rights and bankruptcy law litigation and real estate litigation
- "In Re Nosek: An Overview," United Trustee's Quarterly, 2007
- Internet Crimes, Department of Health and Human Services
- Forensic Interviewing of Children
- Chaldean American Bar Association (Board of Directors, Director)
- Oakland County Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan
- Wayne State University Law School, J.D., 2002
- Oakland University, B.A., 1999
- Michigan, 2002
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan, 2005
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan, 2006