Matthew J. Zmijewski is a partner in Plunkett Cooney's Transportation Law Practice Group. He focuses his practice primarily in the areas of motor vehicle liability and no fault law.
Mr. Zmijewski represents national insurers in motor vehicle first- and third-party, bodily injury, and uninsured and under insured motorist claims. He also has extensive experience investigating and resolving fraudulent motor vehicle liability claims.
Admitted to the State Bar of Michigan and the U.S. District Court for the Eastern and Western Districts of Michigan, Mr. Zmijewski is a member of several professional organizations, including the Association of Defense Trial Counsel, the Michigan Defense Trial Counsel and the Central Michigan Adjusters Association.
Representative Client Work
- Represents and counsels national insurance carriers and individuals in first-party no-fault and third-party automobile negligence claims
- Represents insurers in recovery of over-paid benefits or reimbursement from equal or higher priority insurers
- Authored and argued successful motions on behalf of national insurance carrier disposing claimants’ pursuit of PIP benefits based on fraud exclusion policy provisions
- Obtained dismissal and order permitting rescission of insurance policy through demonstration of material misrepresentations of policyholder in litigation where “innocent third party” sought to recover statutory PIP benefits
- Successfully pursued disposition of negligence and wrongful death claims against motorist through motion practice establishing absence of fault in events giving rise to accident
- Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association
- Central Michigan Adjusters Association
- Macomb County Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan
- Michigan Defense Trial Counsel
- Association of Defense Trial Counsel
- Wayne State University Law School, J.D., 2010
- Michigan State University, B.A., 2007
- Michigan, 2010
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District, 2010
- U.S. District Court, Western District, 2011
Honors & Recognitions
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America™ – Transportation Law, 2023 - 2024