Peter J. Langley is a senior attorney in the firm's Government Relations, Public Policy and Regulatory Practice Group. He also serves as a Co-leader of Plunkett Cooney's Environmental & Energy Practice Group.
With extensive experience in both the public and private sectors, Mr. Langley focuses his practice in the areas of administrative, environmental and energy law, as well as public affairs on behalf of his corporate clients.
Mr. Langley previously served as deputy chief of staff and legislative director for Michigan Senate Majority Leader Arlan Meekhof, and as the policy director for the Michigan Senate Majority Policy Office. As a member of the senate policy office, Mr. Langley was responsible for overseeing staff that prepared legislative analyses for the senate majority caucus, and he worked with caucus members, department leaders and other stakeholders to develop legislation as it was negotiated through final passage.
Following his years in public service, Mr. Langley worked as the executive director of the American Petroleum Institute of Michigan where he represented some of the world’s largest energy producers. While there, he developed coalitions to move forward large infrastructure projects and energy priorities, which resulted in opportunities for economic development and job creation across the state. Mr. Langley also served as president of Strategic Policy Solutions, a full-service government relations and advocacy firm that specialized in energy, healthcare and regulatory issues.
Representative Client Work
- Developed coalitions to promote client infrastructure projects
- Developed legislative and policy strategies for passage of No-Fault insurance reforms, education reform, energy legislation and multiple public health code amendments
- Tracked and advocated for environmental regulatory changes from the state of Michigan – vapor intrusion testing, remediation procedures, PFAS chemical testing, etc.
- Participated in developing multiple amendments to Michigan’s energy laws
- Represented energy clients in legislative and regulatory workgroups to shape public policy and regulatory changes
- Public Act 124 of 2021 – advocated for legislation that saved clients and the state of Michigan from implementing an overly burdensome tax process – saving client over $600,000 annually
- Public Act 434 of 2016 - advocated for legislation allowing industry members to sell beer and wine at their businesses
- Public Act 359 of 2018 – advocated for legislation expanding the responsibility for the Mackinac Bridge Authority
- Public Act 143 of 2020 – advocated for legislation that limited PFAS used in firefighting foam, while protecting client’s interests
- Michigan Manufacturers Association
- State Bar of Michigan
- Institute of Scrap Recycling Industries
- Law360 Michigan Editorial Advisory Board, Member, 2023
- Children Trust Michigan, Advisory Board member
Articles and Lectures
Government Relations is Like Insurance for Your Business, dbusiness.com, Feb. 6, 2023
Areas of Practice
- Western Michigan University Cooley Law School, J.D., 2007
- Northern Michigan University, B.A., 1997
- Michigan, 2007
- Week of March 21, 2022, 03.21.2022
- Week of March 14, 2022, 03.14.2022
- Week of March 7, 2022, 03.07.2022
- Week of Feb. 21, 2022, 02.21.2022
- Week of Feb. 14 2022, 02.14.2022
- Week of Feb. 8, 2022, 02.08.2022
- Week of Jan. 31, 2022, 01.31.2022
- Week of Jan. 24, 2022, 01.24.2022
- Week of October 4, 2021, 10.04.2021
- Week of Sept. 20, 2021, 09.20.2021