An attorney in Plunkett Cooney's Bloomfield Hills office, Brian K. Mitzel is a member of the firm's Torts & Litigation Practice Group. He concentrates his litigation practice primarily in the areas of premises liability, property and casualty, and general liability.
Mr. Mitzel represents national retailers and various insurance carriers in disputes involving premises liability and general negligence claims. He also has experience handling professional liability claims involving architects, engineers and certified public accountants.
Mr. Mitzel received his law degree, cum laude, in 2016 from University of Detroit Mercy School of Law, where he received numerous academic awards, including several CALI and Book awards. He received his undergraduate degree, cum laude, from Wayne State University in 2013.
Representative Client Work
- Drafted motions for summary disposition in premises liability cases, successfully arguing application of the open and obvious danger doctrine
- Assisted in a two-day circuit court bench trial involving a construction materials dispute that resulted in a favorable ruling for the client
- Assisted in drafting motions to dismiss cases involving claims under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.
- Assisted in drafting a motion for summary judgment in a multi-state insurance coverage claim involving Michigan's owner liability statute that resulted in settlement for a nominal amount
- State Bar of Michigan
Areas of Practice
- University of Detroit Mercy School of Law, cum laude, J.D., 2016
- Wayne State University, cum laude, B.A., 2013
- Michigan, 2016
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan, 2017
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan, 2017
Honors & Recognitions
- Law Dean's Scholarship
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award: Evidence, Environmental Law, and Business Organizations
- Book Awards: Evidence, Environmental Law, Business Organizations, and Corporate Governance
- Litigation Defenders, 11.29.2018
- Litigation Defenders, 10.02.2018
- Litigation Defenders, 06.27.2018