An of counsel attorney in the firm’s Kalamazoo office, Daniel L. Conklin is a member of Plunkett Cooney’s Banking, Bankruptcy and Creditors’ Rights and Real Estate/Transactional practice groups.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Conklin worked as vice president and in-house counsel for National City Bank for 10 years where he handled corporate real estate matters and commercial lending.
Mr. Conklin’s work experience includes all types of real estate transactions, including acquisitions, dispositions, leasing, easements and condemnations. His transactional practice includes drafting, negotiating and reviewing documents; due diligence; and advising clients on deal structure and risk mitigation issues. Mr. Conklin also has experience in all aspects of commercial loan transactions.
Mr. Conklin also worked in private practice for 18 years where he started his banking and real estate career.
Representative Client Work
- Served as counsel for an owner of an office building in a $20 million sale and leaseback transaction
- Served as counsel for a bank client in numerous site acquisition transactions (purchase and ground lease) in connection with retail branch network expansion
- Served as counsel for a lender in a multi-million dollar, multi-county real estate and operating loan transaction
- Extensive experience as bank counsel in all aspects of commercial loan transactions, including deal structure, documentation and risk management
- Kalamazoo County Bar Association (Pro Bono Committee)
- State Bar of Michigan (Real Property Section)
- Illinois Bar Association
- Kalamazoo Valley Habitat for Humanity (Member, Board of Directors)
- Monthly legal clinic at Kalamazoo Public Library, Coordinator
- Legal advisor to various Kalamazoo-based nonprofit organizations
- Community Living Options (Past President and Board Member)
- Kalamazoo Neighborhood Housing Services (Past President and Board Member)
- University of San Francisco School of Law, with honors, J.D., 1977
- University of Michigan, B.A., 1971
- California, 1977
- Michigan, 1978
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan, 1978
- Illinois, 2001
Honors & Recognitions
- Kalamazoo County Bar Association Distinguished Community Service Award