Eric T. Ramar is a member of the firm's Medical Litigation Practice Group who concentrates his practice primarily in the area of medical malpractice litigation defense.
Mr. Ramar represents physicians, dentists, chiropractors, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, nurses, nursing homes, long-term care facilities, and other health care providers in medical malpractice actions throughout Michigan. He also represents health care providers in state licensing and regulatory matters.
A former judicial intern for Judge Sean Cox of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, Mr. Ramar received his law degree from the University of Toledo College of Law in 2013. He received his undergraduate degree from Michigan State University in 2010.
Representative Client Work
- Second chaired trial resulting in no cause for action in a wrongful death claim against a cardiologist alleging failure to properly address the cause of the decedent’s chest pain leading to cardiac arrest
- Obtained dismissal of plastic surgeon and nurse in an action alleging improper performance of restorative laser treatment leading to facial scarring
Successfully argued for preclusion of nursing expert in case against long-term care facility arising out of the expert’s failure to satisfy requirements of MCL 600.2169
Successfully negotiated settlement for long-term care facility arising out of an alleged failure to respond to call light, which resulted in a fall, head trauma and death
Successfully argued motion to strike damages for loss of earnings capacity of infant in case involving allegations against a maternal fetal medicine physician
Successfully argued for preclusion of plaintiff’s anesthesiology expert arising out of allegations of over-sedation during performance of AV fistula repair procedure that resulted in cardiac arrest and death
Successfully represented prosthodontist in state investigative matter, resulting in dismissal of multiple counts in administrative complaint. An agreement was reached between the state and the prosthodontist that resulted in no probation or suspension of license.
Successfully represented nurse in state investigative matter resulting in no charges being filed. The complainant alleged improper performance of Phoenix CO2 laser resulting in facial scarring and discoloration.
- Obtained dismissal of physician assistant in action alleging improper treatment of an ankle fracture leading to additional and more extensive surgeries
- Obtained summary disposition for psychologist in action alleging defamation, intentional infliction of emotional distress, and breach of professional duties arising from the psychologist’s involvement in custody proceeding
- Obtained dismissal of orthodontist in case alleging improper implementation of braces
- Obtained dismissal of nursing home facility in case alleging wrongful cremation of the decedent
- Obtained dismissal of ophthalmologist in case alleging failure to properly perform Lasik eye surgery
- Obtained dismissal of general dentist in case alleging improper extraction of third molars resulting in damage to inferior alveolar nerve
- Successfully mediated multiple actions against neurosurgeon based upon failure of spinal fusion-hardware
- Successfully represented nurse in state licensing investigation regarding improper dispensing of medications; no action was taken against the nurse’s license
- Assisted in defending to no cause for action a wrongful death claim against a radiologist alleging a failure to recommend follow-up CT scan leading to progression of cancer
Publications and Lectures
- "NextGen Medical Liability - Strategies, Tactics & Technology in the Millennial Age," Presenter, Plunkett Cooney’s Medical Liability Seminar, Detroit Athletic Club, May 31, 2019
- “When Reptiles Attack – Surviving Attempts to ‘Poison’ Your Case at Trial”; Presenter; Plunkett Cooney’s Medical Liability Mock Trial; Detroit Athletic Club; May 19, 2018
- State Bar of Michigan (Negligence Law, Litigation sections)
- DRI - The Voice of the Defense Bar
Areas of Practice
- University of Toledo College of Law, J.D., 2013
- Michigan State University, B.S., 2010
- Michigan, 2013
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan, 2013
Honors & Recognitions
- National Order of the Barristers Award
- Commercial Law, Tax Fraud - Highest-ranked student
- Toledo Law National Moot Court Program, Vice Chair