A partner in Plunkett Cooney's Chicago office, James A. Larson serves as Co-leader of Plunkett Cooney's Real Estate Litigation and Title Insurance Practice Group. He is an accomplished real estate and commercial litigation attorney whose practice extends throughout the states of Illinois and Wisconsin.
Mr. Larson focuses his real estate practice in the areas of property development, sales/acquisitions, leasing, mechanic’s liens, boundary and easement disputes, condominium law, title insurance defense and coverage matters, and other real estate litigation. He maintains an extensive lender services practice focused on foreclosures, evictions, REO closings, bankruptcy, lender liability and real estate litigation involving municipalities. Mr. Larson also represents a number of small and mid-sized companies in general corporate matters and litigation.
A sought-after speaker on his various areas of expertise, Mr. Larson is a member of the Illinois State Bar Association, the Illinois Land Title Association, and the Wisconsin Land Title Association.
Representative Client Work
- Successfully defended a lender in a matter before the Illinois Supreme Court which involved an issue of first impression in the state. Namely, whether a lender and borrower may reach a post-foreclosure payoff agreement that affects the rights of a third-party sale purchaser. The Supreme Court unanimously reversed the lower court's decision that was adverse to the interests the client.
- Illinois State Bar Association
- American Land Title Association
- Illinois Land Title Association
- Wisconsin Land Title Association
Areas of Practice
- University of Iowa College of Law, J.D., 1987
- Iowa State University, B.A., 1982
- Illinois, 1987
- Wisconsin, 2015
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 1987
- U.S. District County, Central District of Illinois, 1997
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Illinois, 2004
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit, 1988