The managing partner of the firm’s Chicago, Illinois office, James M. (Jim) Crowley provides a full range of legal services to financial institutions, banks and savings & loans, construction, engineering and other professional companies, both large and small in a wide variety of transaction, bankruptcy and commercial litigation matters.
His representation of banks and financial institutions includes significant experience in the area of commercial finance, including secured and unsecured bank lending, real estate related finance matters, preparation of construction loan documents, asset-based lending, acquisition and permanent commercial financing for office, industrial, hotel, residential (i.e., single family and apartments), retail (shopping centers) real estate and leasing for manufacturing facilities and equipment.
In addition, Mr. Crowley has represented construction and engineering companies in both the prosecution and defense of mechanic lien issues, breach of construction contracts and other related issues.
With over 35 years of experience, Mr. Crowley’s counsel is sought after by some of the largest financial banks and institutions in the country. He has lectured and provided seminars for banking clients, their employees and for legal professionals on banking and commercial issues.
Representative Client work
- Advises clients regarding regulatory matters under the Truth In Lending Act, Bank Holding Company Act, Glass Steagall Act and compliance with applicable Blue Sky Laws
- Represents banks and financial institutions in regulatory enforcement actions
- Advises financial institutions with the formation, expansion and reorganization of company, including forming bank holding companies and the conversion of institutions from stock to mutual corporations
- Mergers and acquisition of financial institutions and bank holding companies
- Successfully restructures and handles the workout of troubled loans
- Successfully handles commercial and residential foreclosure and bankruptcy
- Loan documentation for commercial deals from $1 million to $60 million
- Chicago Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Illinois Celtic Society (past president)
Areas of Practice
- DePaul University College of Law, J.D., 1982
- Northern Illinois University, magna cum laude, B.A., 1979
- Illinois, 1982
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 1982
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit