A member of Plunkett Cooney's Chicago office, Jennifer E. Walker focuses her practice primarily in the areas of residential and commercial mortgage foreclosure litigation and collection law.
Prior to joining the firm, Ms Walker worked for one of the largest foreclosure law firms in Illinois, prosecuting thousands of foreclosures on behalf of numerous lending institutions.
As a litigator, Ms. Walker has argued matters before numerous courts throughout Chicago and in surrounding counties. She has developed a reputation as being fair-minded while aggressively advocating on behalf of her clients.
Her courtroom experience includes handling matters involving breach of contract, fraud, defense and enforcement of mechanic's liens, the Truth in Lending Act and creditor's rights issues. She has also handled appeals on behalf of her clients before the Illinois First District Appellate Court.
Ms. Walker is a member of the Illinois State and Chicago bar associations. She earned her undergraduate degree from the University of Michigan in 2006.
Representative Client Work
- Preparation of client memorandum, advising of changes and updates to Illinois and local municipal laws
- Representation of lenders in residential and commercial foreclosure litigation
- Defense against claims of violations of the Truth in Lending Act (TILA), Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) and Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA)
- Representation of creditors in post-judgment collection lawsuits, including citation examinations to determine available assets for recovery and turnover of assets
- Representation of creditors in bankruptcy proceedings, including filing proofs of claims and motions for relief from the automatic stay
- Representation of landlords in evictions of commercial and residential tenants
- Representation of lenders in replevin actions of commercial vehicles and equipment
- Negotiation of repayment plans, loan modification and forbearance agreements for troubled loans
- Representation of lenders in appeals before the Illinois Appellate Court
- Successfully obtained summary judgment in trial court and reaffirmation of ruling by appellate court on issue of face-to-face meeting requirement under HUD regulations (PNC Bank Nat’l Assoc. v. Wilson, 2017 IL App (2d) 151189)
- Nationwide Advantage Mortgage Co. v. Ortiz, 2012 IL App (1st) 112755, 975 N.E.2d 178 (1st Dist. 2012)
- PNC Bank Nat’l Assoc. v Zubel, 2013 IL App (1st) 130976
- PNC Bank Nat’l Assoc. v Wilson, 2017 IL App (2d) 151189
- Chicago Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Illinois Women in Cannabis (IWC)
- DePaul University College of Law, J.D., 2009
- University of Michigan, B.A., 2006
- Illinois, 2009
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 2013
U.S. District Court, Southern District of Illinois, 2019
Honors & Recognitions
- DePaul University College of Law Appellate Moot Court Team
- Best Brief Award, 2009
- 14th Whittier Law School, First-Place Team, 2009
- Cannabiz Law Blog, 06.06.2019
- Cannabiz Law Blog, 05.20.2019
- Cannabiz Law Blog, 03.14.2019
- Cannabiz Law Blog, 03.08.2019
- Cannabiz Law Blog, 10.24.2018
- Cannabiz Law Blog, 05.18.2018
- Cannabiz Law Blog, 04.12.2018