A partner at Plunkett Cooney since 1986, Jerome A. Galante represents product manufacturers, suppliers, general contractors, subcontractors, design professionals and owners both directly and through insurance carriers in personal injury and commercial contract litigation.
Mr. Galante concentrates his practice in the areas of product liability and construction litigation and also represents a wide range of clients involved in many different types of complex, general litigation in both state and federal courts. Additionally, Mr. Galante serves as a mediator and arbitrator.
Representative Client Work
- National trial counsel for a leading woodchipper manufacturing company. Mr. Galante works closely with this client to assure its woodchipper product line exceeds every safety design standard and are the safest tree care products available.
- Former national trial counsel for a national security and investigative services company
- Serves as general counsel for a national manufacturer of gymnastics equipment
- Serves as safety counsel for a national manufacturer of boats
- Tried over 100 cases to jury verdict
- Represents a manufacturer of an electrically-propelled scooter that allegedly failed, causing the user to fall off the scooter and sustain injuries
- Defended a manufacturer of a cautery tool that was used during surgery to an infant. The infant was under a steri-drape with pure oxygen flowing when the cautery tool ignited cotton and, combined with the pure oxygen, caused significant burns to the infant.
- Defended a large general contractor in a suit for breach of contract and ethnic discrimination by electrical subcontractor involving claims in excess of $2 million. The jury returned a verdict of no cause for action after a six-week trial.
- Defended a bridge and road improvement contractor in a personal injury suit where a road worker lost both legs and numerous other injuries, including 65 surgeries; defended to jury verdict after five-week trial.
- Represented the manufacturer of a patient lift device that was involved in an accident while transferring a patient from a wheelchair to her bed. A component part of the lift allegedly failed, dropping the patient on the floor.
- Represented the cryosurgery device manufacturer of a nitrogen freeze gun in a claim involving surgery on an expensive race horse that allegedly resulted in nerve damage
- Defended a Michigan township in binding arbitration involving claims by a general contractor for equitable adjustment exceeding $2 million
- Defended a demolition contractor to jury verdict of no cause for action in a $1.5 million property loss case
- Defended the manufacturer of an infant recliner that was used in a crib contrary to warnings and instructions, causing the suffocation death of an infant
- Defended to jury verdict of no cause for action six different personal injury construction cases for a local excavating and road-resurfacing contractor
- Woods v Bacharach Instrument Co., 89-CV-70405-DT (E.D. Mich.) [One plaintiff died and another suffered burns to 60 percent of his body. Claim for defective manufacture of a combustible gas/oxygen meter used to measure fumes inside a large paint tank. No cause for action as to both plaintiffs. Case published in The National Law Journal as one of the top 10 defense verdicts in the country in 1992.]
- Rupersburg v Connelly Crane, et al C/A No. 02-045346 NO, consolidated with C/A No. 00-023553 NO (6th Cir. 2004) [Construction accident involving a large crawler crane. Electrician working at ground level hit by falling 22-pound guardrail, which fell from ninth floor of high-rise building. Plaintiff awarded $8,200,000 against general contractor and sub-contractor. Mr. Galante’s client, Connelly Crane, received a no cause for action.
- Oakland County Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan (Litigation Section)
- American Bar Association (Litigation Section)
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- Defense Research Institute
- International Association of Defense Counsel (Board of Directors, 2004-2007)
- International Association of Defense Counsel Foundation Board (President, 2001-2003)
- Detroit College of Law Alumni Association
- Michigan State University Alumni Association
- Oakland County Young Lawyers Association (Chairperson, 1986-87; Member 1981-87)
- National Arbitration Forum, Arbitrator
Publications and Lectures
- "Construction Contractor Risk Management," Lecturer, Angelo Iafrate Construction Company Annual Safety Conference, March 8, 2013
- Contributing Editor, “Privacy Project” vols. I, II and III, IADC 2004-2007
- "Legal Issues and Strategies Every Contractor Should Know" Lecturer and Author, Michigan Association of Certified Public Accountants, November 17, 2006
- "Accident Reconstruction Experts; Defense Use of Biomechanical and Human Factors Experts," Lecturer and Author, Michigan Law Update seminar for Chicago based insurance claim representatives, 2003
- “The Professional as a Witness” (Architects, Engineers and Contractors), lecturer, International Association of Defense Counsel, La Quinta, CA (2001)
- "Expert Discovery: What Is and Isn’t Protected by the Attorney Client Work Product Privilege," Lecturer and Author, International Association of Defense Counsel, La Jolla, CA (1998)
- "Keeping the Lid on the Liability Case in Construction Disputes," Lecturer, Michigan Concrete Association (1994)
- "Defense Damage Experts - Helpful Hints for Preparing and Using Vocational Rehabilitation Specialists and Economists as Defense Experts in Personal Injury Claims," Lecturer, Michigan Defense Trial Counsel Annual Winter Meeting (1995)
- "Issues to Consider Before and After Agreeing to Alternative Dispute Resolution in Construction Cases," Lecturer and Author, International Association of Defense Trial Counsel, Denver, Colorado (1994)
- "Practicing Law in a Large Law Firm," Lecturer, University of Detroit School of Law (1984)
- "Practicing Law in a Large Law Firm," Lecturer, Detroit College of Law (1982)
Areas of Practice
- Michigan State University College of Law, J.D., 1981
- Michigan State University, with Honors, B.S., 1977
- Michigan, 1981
Honors & Recognitions
- Best Lawyers in America® for Personal Injury Litigation (Copyright 2019 by Woodward/White, Inc., of Aiken, SC), 2008 - 2020
- Leading Lawyer in Personal Injury Defense Law: General / Products Liability Defense Law, Leading Lawyers Magazine Michigan, 2015
- Martindale-Hubbell’s highest rating-AV Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated
- Michigan Super Lawyer in Personal Injury Litigation: Products, Michigan Super Lawyers, a Thomson Reuters publication, 2006 - 2011, 2013 - 2019
- Top Lawyer in Personal Injury Litigation, dbusiness Magazine, 2014 - 2015
- Michigan Super Lawyers, 10.21.2015
- Best Lawyers in America®, 09.08.2015
- Leading Lawyers, 12.12.2014
- DBusiness magazine, 11.25.2014
- Michigan Super Lawyers, 10.07.2014
- Best Lawyers in America®, 09.05.2014
- Michigan Super Lawyers, 11.05.2013