John C. Cahalan is a member of Plunkett Cooney's Transportation Law Practice Group. Prior to joining the firm, he served as in-house counsel for an international insurance provider.
Mr. Cahalan focuses his practice in the areas of motor vehicle liability, Personal Injury Protection (PIP) insurance, medical fraud investigations, attendant care disputes and extra-contractual litigation. These matters typically include first- and third-party liability, as well as claims involving uninsured and under-insured motorists (UM/UIM). He also has expertise in the areas of personal injury, premises liability and injuries arising from the ownership of pets.
Mr. Cahalan's previous in-house counsel experience provides him with a unique perspective on the importance of the insurance provider/policyholder relationship and the need for outside counsel to focus on such service imperatives as legal project management.
Representative Client Work
- Obtained numerous dismissals through aggressive motion practice in personal injury litigation on behalf of international insurance carrier and its insureds
- Served as lead trial counsel in several No Fault law, personal injury and uninsured/under-insured motorist cases
- Defended numerous Michigan Assigned Claims Plan cases on behalf of international insurance carrier, of which the client, through discovery, obtained reimbursement because of higher-priority status
- Incorporated Society of Irish American Lawyers (Board of Directors, member)
- Association of Defense Trial Counsel
- Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan
- Press Release
- University of Detroit Mercy School of Law, J.D., 2012
- Marquette University, B.A., 2008
- Michigan, 2013
Honors & Recognitions
- Book Award: Estates and Trusts
- Moot Court Board of Advocates, Senior Member
- Dean’s Scholarship, 2010 and 2011
- Incorporated Society of Irish American Lawyers Scholarship, 2012