John F. Sullivan is a shareholder in the firm's Chicago office. He focuses his practice primarily in the area of commercial litigation, emphasizing the representation of financial institutions.
Mr. Sullivan recognizes that it is vital to have a client relationship built on trust, understanding and mutual respect. For more than 20 years, he has represented clients in the financial services and real estate industries and has earned their confidence by providing expert legal advice.
Mr. Sullivan has counseled banks, title insurers, realtors, developers and mortgage bankers on compliance with RESPA, TILA, FCRA, FACTA, HOEPA and a host of other consumer protection statutes and defended litigation in related matters.
Vertically integrated, Mr. Sullivan's financial services litigation practice includes representing creditors in consumer claims, prosecuting and defending claims in the secondary mortgage market on retail, wholesale and correspondent loan levels, and handling inter-bank claims arising from commercial loan participations. He has extensive trial, appellate and post-judgment experience in state, federal and bankruptcy courts. He has also tried numerous arbitration cases before the American Arbitration Association or other alternative dispute resolution providers.
In addition to his litigation practice, Mr. Sullivan assists lenders in documenting and closing commercial loans, loan participations and bulk loan purchases and sales. He also has experience in the area of merger and acquisition work involving valuation models for multi-million dollar mortgage loan pipelines.
Before practicing law, Mr. Sullivan worked 10 years handling or managing property and casualty insurance claims, the last six of which pertained exclusively to managing nationwide environmental and toxic tort defense and coverage disputes.
Representative Client Work
- Bankruptcy judgment in favor of bank, finding debtor's pension plan assets exceeding $1 million were not exempt where pension plan was facially compliant with the Revenue Code but the contributions to and distributions from the plan did not comply with the code
- AAA award and circuit court judgment for "pair-off fees" in favor of bank for breach of contract for mandatory forward sales of securities by another bank
- Successfully awarded a $860,000 judgment, including $350,000 in punitive damages, following trial of a corporate dispute involving misappropriation of corporate opportunities by departed officer, director and shareholder
- Defense judgment following trial affirmed, on appeal, in favor of homeowners that sold their home for redevelopment and were wrongfully sued for violation of the Residential Real Property Disclosure Act
- Successfully obtained a $10.6 million circuit court judgment affirmed on appeal against guarantor of insolvent residential developer
- Successfully obtained a $468,000 judgment following bankruptcy trial against debtor for breach of fiduciary duties as trustee for his grandchildrens' trust brought on behalf of not-for-profit child advocacy center for the grandchildrens' benefit
- Successfully obtained a $4.1 Million injury settlement against driver who caused collision while distracted by GPS monitor
- AAA award and circuit court judgment in favor of bank against correspondent lender for breach of loan purchase agreement by selling nonconforming loans
- Appellate court reversal of erroneous trial court dismissal of bank's claims against borrowers based on res judicata
- Successfully obtained a $1 million jury settlement in a vehicular collision on behalf of injured motorist
- Obtained a $550,000 settlement on behalf of amnesic driver proven through accident reconstruction testimony
- Obtained a $300,000 settlement during AAA arbitration in favor of hospital against national health insurer for breach of reimbursement requirements in provider agreement
- Successfully obtained a $225,000 settlement in favor of additional named insured bank after proving property and casualty insurance company had not validly cancelled a policy of insurance in compliance with Illinois law for more than 25 years
- Defense judgment following circuit court trial of borrower's lawsuit against bank, claiming violations of Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and Fair Credit Reporting Act
- Successfully obtained a $550,000 settlement in favor of bank in no asset Chapter 7 bankruptcy proceeding as a result of fraudulent transfer proceedings against debtor's wife
- Successfully obtained a $803,000 judgment following trial in favor of bank that inadvertently destroyed all physical and electronic files during the litigation.
- Illinois State Bar
Areas of Practice
- DePaul University College of Law, J.D., 1991
- University of Dayton, B.A., 1984
- Illinois, 1991
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 1991
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois, 2015
- Northern Illinois Bankruptcy Court
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida, 2010