Justin J. Hakala is a member of Plunkett Cooney's Medical Litigation Practice Group. Mr. Hakala focuses his practice in the areas of medical malpractice liability defense and product liability.
A member of the firm's Bloomfield Hills office, Mr. Hakala represents physicians, health systems and hospitals in healthcare litigation and claims of alleged professional liability in cases involving birth trauma, cardiac arrest, nursing home care, missed diagnoses and ophthalmology. He has successfully served as first- and second-chair in numerous jury trials. Mr. Hakala also has experience with mass tort cases involving defective medical devices and other products.
In addition, Mr. Hakala has extensive experience resolving cases involving claims product liability. Notably, he wrote the definitive Michigan subject matter treatise on the topic, titled: "Product Liability in Michigan."
Mr. Hakala also served as the Publications Editor for the State Bar of Michigan Antitrust Section.
Representative Client Work
- Obtained a favorable settlement in the death case of a newborn child after an alleged delay in the baby’s delivery
- Obtained a favorable settlement in a catastrophic injury case involving and undiagnosed myocardial infarction
- Successfully obtained a jury verdict in a failure to diagnose case involving critical abdominal disease that led to bowel ischemia, infarction and death
- Successfully resolved hundreds of personal injury matters through mediation, trial, arbitration and appeal
- Product Liability in Michigan, James Legal Press, Aug. 29, 2016
- American Association for Justice: Life Care Plans, Contributor, October 2013
Articles and Lectures
- "NextGen Medical Liability - Strategies, Tactics & Technology in the Millennial Age," Presenter, Plunkett Cooney’s Medical Liability Seminar, Detroit Athletic Club, May 31, 2019
- Uber and Other Ride Sharing Services, Michigan Association for Justice: No-Fault Institute XIV, Presenter, Sep. 25, 2017
- The Proposed Amendments to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, Michigan Association for Justice: Erosion of Justice Seminar, Presenter, May 27, 2014
- A New Day for Expert Discovery, 47 Trial 6, June 2011
- The Case for Different Preliminary Injunction Standards in Merger Challenges, State Bar of Michigan, Antitrust Section Newsletter, March 2009
- Follow-On State Actions Based on the FTC’s Enforcement of Section 5, Section 5 Workshop, Federal Trade Commission, Oct. 9, 2008
- State Bar of Michigan (Antitrust, Franchising, and Trade Regulation Section: Publications editor, 2009 - 2013; Assistant Section Chair, 2008 - 2009)
- American Bar Association
Areas of Practice
- Wayne State University Law School, cum laude, J.D., 2009
- University of Michigan, B.A., 2004
- Michigan, 2009
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan, 2009
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan, 2010
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio, 2017
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit, 2013
Honors & Recognitions
- Michigan Super Lawyer Rising Star in Medical Malpractice; Michigan Super Lawyers, a Thomson Reuters publication, 2013 - 2018
- Wayne State University Law Review, Assistant Editor
- Wayne State University Law School Moot Court, National Team Member