Karen Goodman Mucha is an of counsel attorney in the firm's Bloomfield Hills office who focuses her practice primarily in the area of health care law.
Ms. Goodman Mucha has extensive experience drafting commercial and governmental managed care contracts, managing complex health care and employment litigation; handling health care transactions for a variety of providers; ensuring Medicare and regulatory compliance for health care providers with a particular focus on home health and hospice providers, and reviewing, drafting and revising health system vendor agreements, including IT agreements.
Ms. Goodman Mucha has over 30 years of experience as in-house counsel for a home health and hospice provider, physician organizations, medical centers and managed care organizations. She has handled a variety of issues related to the health care industry, including compliance and code of conduct programs, fraud and abuse, HIPAA, patient care issues, professional service agreements, educational affiliation agreements, system-wide vendor and vendor procurement agreements and payor agreements.
Admitted to practice in Michigan, Ms. Goodman Mucha is a member of the Health Care Compliance Association, American Health Lawyers Association and State Bar of Michigan.
Representative Client Work
- Successfully completed the acquisition of three home health agencies in Michigan for one of the largest home health and hospice providers in America
- Worked on the merger of two large home health and hospice providers located in Michigan, Ohio and Illinois
- Drafted restructuring documents for an home health and hospice joint venture with a large health system
- Managed Medicare compliance requirements for 18 separate Medicare home health and hospice provider numbers
- Established and developed the first compliance and code of conduct programs for a physician organization with over 2,200 members affiliated with a major health system
- Directed the corporate restructure of a 2,200-member physician organization, working extensively with shareholder physicians
- Drafted and negotiated computer technology agreementsto support a physician organization's health information exchange subsidiary
- Drafted contracts on behalf of a large, multi-hospital academic medical center's sports medicine program, including medical services agreements, with several professional Detroit-based sports teams
- Directed legal strategy for the potential sale or merger of a multi-hospital owned managed care organization
- Handled business and corporate legal matters on behalf of a diversified national health care system, as well as provided extensive legal services to the system’s hospital, health maintenance organization, preferred provider organization, home health and third-party administrator subsidiaries
- State Bar of Michigan
- Health Care Compliance Association
- American Health Lawyers Association
Areas of Practice
- Harvard University, Chan School of Public Health, M.H.S.A. 1986
- Wayne State University Law School, J.D., 1983
- University of Pennsylvania, B.A., 1980
- Michigan, 1983