Katherine M. Nighswander is a member of the firm’s Transportation Law and Torts & Litigation practice groups. Ms. Nighswander focuses her practice on insurance-related work involving catastrophic injuries, specifically those involving no-fault law and motor vehicle negligence, as well as premises liability claims, vicarious liability of security guards, dramshop claims and general negligence allegations.
Ms. Nighswander serves as approved counsel to numerous insurance providers. She handles all aspects of insurance defense litigation on behalf of their insureds, including complex and high-exposure cases. In addition to no-fault automobile and first-and third-party motor vehicle cases, Ms. Nighswander has experience defending personal injury claims, including dog bites, dramshop, medical liability, product liability matters, allegations of food contamination, foodborne illness claims and matters related to foreign materials in food.
Ms. Nighswander received her law degree, cum laude, from Michigan State University College of Law in 2013. While in law school, she served as a judicial intern to the Hon. Judge Michael J. Kelly of the Michigan Court of Appeals for the Fourth District as well as a judicial extern for Hon. judges Joseph J. Farah and Hon. F. Kay Behm of the Seventh Judicial Circuit Court.
Representative Client Work
- Obtained summary disposition of a multi-plaintiff foodborne illness lawsuit against a local restaurant after challenging the testimony of the plaintiffs’ purported food safety and handling expert
- Successfully defended and obtained dismissals of numerous cases against retailers, restaurants and gas stations based upon the application of the open and obvious danger doctrine, the notice doctrine and the wrongful conduct rule
- Obtained a dismissal following appellate review of a highly contested dramshop case involving the spoliation of surveillance video footage
- Successfully drafted numerous applications for leave and appellate briefs in the Michigan Court of Appeals and the Michigan Supreme Court, as well as in miscellaneous state courts
- Obtained numerous dismissals of no-fault first-party and third-party cases based upon arguments of priority, fraud, laches, repeated violations of court orders and lack of service
- Reese v Weiner & Associates, PLLC, unpublished order of the Michigan Supreme Court, issued May 29, 2018 (Docket No. 156896)
- Bell v Galaxy Fuel, Inc, unpublished order of the Michigan Supreme Court, issued Feb. 1, 2017 (Docket No 153746)
- Wood v Head Up, LLC, unpublished per curiam opinion of the Court of Appeals, issued Jan. 9, 2018 (Docket No. 334901)
- Arnold, et al v East Side Soul Food, Inc, Wayne County Circuit Court Case Number 15-005829
- Oakland County Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan
Areas of Practice
- Michigan State University College of Law, cum laude, J.D., 2013
- Saginaw Valley State University, summa cum laude, B.A., 2010
- Michigan, 2013
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan, 2015
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan, 2017