Laura L. Romeo is a senior attorney in the firm's Bloomfield Hills office and Co-leader of Plunkett Cooney’s Environment, Energy and Resources Law Practice Group. Ms. Romeo has numerous years of experience focusing on environmental, energy, sustainability and related emerging topics impacting corporate and governmental stakeholders in the private and public sectors.
Ms. Romeo serves as a trusted advisor and partner to corporate leadership teams and governmental entities. She has extensive experience addressing all environmental media, including compliance, regulatory, enforcement, remediation, legislative and emerging issues. She also counsels on a myriad of energy matters, including contracts, utility rate proceedings, legislation, renewable energy and energy resiliency projects. Ms. Romeo reviews, drafts and negotiates environmental and real estate terms, related contracts and lease agreements as part of corporate transactions, and she also provides counsel on construction contracts.
Prior to joining the firm, Ms. Romeo served as regional counsel for the U.S. Army’s Regional Environmental & Energy Office – Central and Assistant Division Counsel for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Northwestern Division. She provided counsel on a variety of environmental and energy matters, with particular emphasis on emerging state legislation, rulemaking, and policy development impacting military and civil works missions and programs, including energy and water resilience, electric vehicles and climate change.
As a former member of the legal staff at a global automotive company, Ms. Romeo was involved with local, national and global environmental, energy and ligation matters. Her work included providing environmental compliance and regulatory counseling regarding facilities in multiple states, advising on water and sustainability initiatives, supporting innovative energy projects and delivering expertise on emerging topics such as PFAS and PCBs.
Representative Client Work
- Provided environmental legal advice for manufacturing plants in multiple states covering all environmental media in order to attain business objectives
- Served as energy counsel for national operations, involved with contracts, utility rate proceedings and renewable energy projects
- Provided legal support on energy resiliency projects
- Provided legal support for a global business unit on matters involving environmental, energy, facilities management and capital projects
- Resolved multiple agency actions by evaluating and recommending strategies to address environmental regulatory issues
- Provided advice regarding environmental portions of SEC filings and corporate governance reports
- Worked with U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to develop a streamlined RCRA Corrective Action consent order that was utilized as a template
- Worked with a state environmental agency to develop principles of communication and cooperation that were utilized between the agency and the regulated community
- Negotiated agreements with several municipalities, including addressing storm water control requirements and water services
- Provided expertise on emergent topics, concerns and contaminants such as PFAS, PCBs, sustainability and climate change
- Drafted and negotiated standard and individual construction contracts, enabling clients to move forward on projects with enhanced terms and condition
- Minimized client risk by providing counsel on environmental aspects of commercial transactions, including environmental site assessments, and real estate sections of commercial transactions
- Drafted and negotiated commercial and industrial leases, seeking in a tenant scenario to maximize the client’s permitted use and operation of the premises and to minimize rent and operating costs
- Reviewed, engaged and updated clients on legislation and draft regulations impacting environmental and energy missions and projects, including related to electric vehicles, energy and water resilience and climate change
- State Bar of Michigan
- American Bar Association
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D., 1986
- University of Michigan, B.A., 1983
- Michigan, 1986
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan, 1988
Honors & Recognitions
- Michigan Super Lawyer in Environmental Law, Michigan Super Lawyers, a Thomson Reuters publication, 2006 - 2008