A member of the firm's Medical Liability Practice Group, Lauren M. Studley focuses her practice in the areas of medical malpractice defense. She also has expertise in general liability, auto negligence, trucking/transportation law and contract law.
Ms. Studley represents hospitals, physicians, nurses and other healthcare providers in medical malpractice actions. She has second-chaired complex medical liability jury trials and she has won several dismissals on motions for summary disposition.
While in law school at Western Michigan University Cooley Law School, Ms. Studley received several awards for her exceptional academic performance, and she served as the Assistant Comments Editor for Thomas M. Cooley Law Review.
Representative Client Work
- Assisted in defending to no cause for action a claim against a general surgeon for alleged failure to properly perform a gall-bladder removal surgery
- Assisted in defending to no cause for action a claim against an anesthesiologist for alleged failure to timely and adequately manage a cardio-respiratory arrest during colonoscopy
- Obtained summary judgment of an emergency physician in a wrongful death case involving allegations of improper management of elevated blood pressure that led to intracranial hemorrhage and death
- Assisted in obtaining summary judgment of an emergency physician in a claim for alleged failure to diagnose ischemic stroke resulting in permanent cognitive and physical disability in a 30-year-old female patient
- Obtained early dismissals of cases involving medical professionals that were improperly filed by the plaintiff as ordinary negligence claims
- Successfully pursued case evaluation sanctions against plaintiffs after favorable verdicts
- State Bar of Michigan
Lectures and Publications
- "The Evolution of Lost Opportunity: The State of the Law and How it Can Be Utilized in Defending Medical Malpractice Claims;" Presenter; Annual Legal Seminar; Detroit Public Library; May 29, 2015
- "Challenging Plaintiffs Variance in Expert Testimony from Pleading;" Presenter; Annual Legal Seminar; Federal Reserve Bank - Detroit Branch; May 1, 2014
- ''Denied! Can the Court Prohibit Access to Plaintiffs' Treating Physicians by Denying a QPO?" Presenter; Annual Legal Seminar; Detroit Athletic Club; May 3, 2013
- "Medical Expenses and Lien Amounts: How Much Should be Included in Economic Damages?" Presenter; Annual Legal Seminar; Detroit Zoo; June 1, 2012
Areas of Practice
- Western Michigan University Cooley Law School, magna cum laude, J.D., 2011
- Central Michigan University, B.S., 2006
- Michigan, 2012
Honors & Recognitions
- Thomas M. Cooley Law Review, Assistant Comments Editor
- Eugene Krasicky Award – Thomas M. Cooley Law Review
- National Moot Court Team - National Appellate Advocacy Competition