Maureen C. Adkins is a partner in the firm’s Bloomfield Hills, Michigan office who practices primarily in the area of medical malpractice liability. Prior to joining the firm, she practiced as a registered nurse and a pediatric nurse practitioner for 11 years.
Ms. Adkins has clinical expertise in pediatrics, neonatology and neurologic disorders. She has a particular interest in the defense of birth trauma cases, which fits well with her clinical background. Ms. Adkins is also involved with risk management issues, and she frequently speaks on the issue of electronic medical records to clients and professional organizations.
Ms. Adkins represents hospitals, physicians, nurses, psychologists and social workers and has successfully tried numerous malpractice cases to jury verdict. She has also built a successful pre-trial motion practice, which has resulted in the dismissal of claims against her clients. Ms. Adkins also has expertise in Daubert motions, which challenge the scientific sufficiency of the opposing expert's opinions.
Representative Client Work
- Represented an emergency medicine physician and a hospital in a case where the plaintiff alleged failure to diagnose an impending myocardial infarction. The patient ultimately required a heart transplant and claimed he was totally disabled. Medical bills alone amounted to over $2,000,000. The case resulted in verdict of no cause of action and the defendants were later awarded substantial case evaluation sanctions.
- Represented a major local hospital and members of its nursing staff in an action claiming inadequate nursing care. The patient fell and shattered his facial bones, allegedly due to the administration of morphine. The case resulted in a verdict of no cause of action.
- Represented an OB-Gyn and her employer in an action alleging failure to timely diagnose an ectopic pregnancy. The jury found the plaintiff’s testimony lacked credibility and entered a no cause verdict in favor of the physician.
- Represented a nursing home in an alleged wrongful death action arising from a patient fall. The jury did not believe the nurses were negligent and rendered a no cause verdict in favor of the nursing home.
- Represented several mental health clinics in a series of three cases alleging inappropriate reporting of child abuse. Based on the defendants’ motions, all three cases were dismissed by the trial court. In each case, the court of appeals affirmed the decisions of the trial court. In addition, plaintiff’s counsel was ordered to pay one of the defendant clinics sanctions for filing frivolous litigation.
- Represented a medical oncologist in a matter alleging failure to timely diagnose and treat an elevation in the patient’s CEA level. Summary disposition was granted in favor of the defendant physician when the plaintiff was unable to establish the loss of a substantial opportunity to survive.
- Succeeded in striking the sole standard of care witness retained by the plaintiff in a failure to diagnose breast cancer case. The court granted the defendant’s motion based upon a lack of qualifications, which later resulted in the dismissal of the case.
Publications and Lectures
- "Perfect Game;" Presenter; Plunkett Cooney’s Medical Liability Seminar; Detroit Athletic Club; April 7, 2011
- "The Right Side of Checkmate;" Presenter; Plunkett Cooney’s Medical Liability Seminar; Detroit Athletic Club; April 30, 2010
- Michigan Medical Records Update, Lansing, MI, 2007
- Medical Malpractice Mock Trial, Troy, MI, 2006
- Michigan Mental Health Update, Lansing, MI, 2006
- Emerging Trends in Failure to Diagnose, Trinity Health System seminar, 2005
- Deposition Skills Workshop, St. John Hospital seminar, 2005
- Nursing Liability, Saginaw and Traverse City, MI, 2004
- Non-party at Fault, Chicago, IL, 2004
- Advance Directives in Michigan, St. Joseph Mercy Oakland seminar, 2004
- Risks of Electronic Medical Record Keeping, Southfield, MI 2003
- Unraveling Daubert, Detroit, MI, 2003
- Spoliation of Evidence, Detroit, MI 2003
- State Bar of Michigan
- American Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- National Association of Pediatric Nurse Practitioners & Associates
- National Association of Neonatal Nurses
Areas of Practice
- Detroit College of Law, magna cum laude, J.D., 1995
- University of Michigan, M.S., 1991 (Parent Child Nursing)
- Oakland Community College, A.D.N., 1984, (Nursing)
- University of Michigan, A.B., 1979
- Michigan, 1995
Honors & Recognitions
- Leading Lawyer in Medical Malpractice Defense Law, Leading Lawyers Magazine Michigan, 2015
- Michigan Super Lawyer in Personal Injury Defense: Medical Malpractice, Michigan Super Lawyers, a publication of Law & Politics magazine, 2007
- Merit Scholar, University of Michigan, 1987-1988
- American Jurisprudence Awards for Contracts, Civil Procedure, Agency and Partnership and Law Practice Management
- Law Review, 1992-1995
- Michigan Consolidated Gas Company Awards, 1992 & 1993
- Detroit Athletic Club, 05.31.2019
- Detroit Athletic Club, 05.19.2018
- Dearborn Inn, 05.05.2017
- Troy Marriott Hotel, 06.04.2015
- Dearborn Inn, 02.07.2015
- Troy Marriott Hotel, 05.31.2014
- Detroit Athletic Club, 04.30.2010
- Troy Marriott Hotel, 11.06.2009
- Leading Lawyers, 12.12.2014