Tanya M. Murray is a member of the firm’s Insurance Coverage Law Practice Group who represents and counsels insurers in complex insurance coverage disputes involving liability policies.
Ms. Murray provides advice regarding coverage issues arising from product liability, construction defect, catastrophic injury and environmental liability. She also litigates coverage disputes arising from a variety of claims, including environmental contamination and construction defect, as well as the defense of insurers in bad faith claims.
Ms. Murray received her law degree, magna cum laude, from the University of Detroit Mercy School of Law in 2017. While there, she received several academic accolades, including her induction into the Frank Murphy Honor Society, and she served as an Associate Editor for the University of Detroit Mercy Law Review.
Admitted to practice law in state and federal courts in Michigan, Ms. Murray is a member of DRI - The Voice of the Defense Bar and the Women Lawyers Association of Michigan, Oakland Region.
Representative Client Work
- Researches, analyzes and drafts coverage opinions and position letters for insurers arising out of variety of claims relating to property damage, bodily injury and personal and advertising injury
- Analyzed coordination of medical benefits between ERISA and FEHBA health plans and automobile insurance policies
- Assisted in the representation of insurers in coverage litigation involving first-party property damage disputes, bodily injury claims from automobile accidents, and environmental claims
- Assisted in the representation of insurers in first-party automobile litigation and defended clients in construction-defect litigation
- Women Lawyers Association of Michigan, Oakland Region (2019 Member of the Year)
- State Bar of Michigan
- DRI - The Voice of the Defense Bar
- "Foresight is 20/20: Why You Should Consider Supplemental Jurisdiction Before Filing a DJ Action Against a General Contractor," Co-author, DRI Covered Events, Volume 30 Issue 11, November 27, 2019
- "How to Slay the Hydra: Adopting Charles Alan Wright's 'The Law of Remedies as a Social Institution' as a Framework for Preventing Data Breaches," Comment, published in 94 U. Det. Mercy L. Rev. 127 (2017)
Areas of Practice
- University of Detroit Mercy School of Law, magna cum laude, J.D., 2017
- University of Western Ontario, B.A., 2012
- Michigan, 2018
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan, 2018
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan, 2020
- Admitted pro hac vice in Ohio and Indiana
Honors & Recognitions
- Justice Frank Murphy Honor Society
- Book Awards in Advanced Advocacy, Contracts I, Criminal Procedure, Evidence, Legal Research and Writing I and II, Probate Law Firm Program, and Property I
- Frank Sengstock Award for Excellence in Legal Writing, 2016
- University of Detroit Mercy Law Review, Associate Editor, 2016 - 2017
- Moot Court, Executive Board Member, 2016 - 2017
- New York State Bar National Moot Court Competition, Best Brief for Region 6, 2017
- The e-POST, 01.15.2021