Welcome to The Sophisticated Employer blog! We’ve designed this blog to be a place where business owners, human resource professionals and EPLI insurance providers can come to obtain news, information and analysis on the latest in labor and employment law.
As you know, this area of the law is constantly changing with the proliferation of technology, a constantly evolving regulatory environment and the blurring of lines between work and personal time. Employers need to be more careful than ever to manage risk in this key area of their business. We hope you will check in frequently or register for our push notifications to ensure that you always remain an informed employer.
Please note that this blog is not intended to provide legal advice, and the discussions contained herein should not be applied to any fact-specific situation. Always consult an attorney directly to address any specific legal questions or needs you may have.
Meet the Editors
The Sophisticated Employer blog is published by the members of Plunkett Cooney’s Labor & Employment Practice Group and is edited by attorneys Courtney L. Nichols and Claudia D. Orr.
Courtney serves as Plunkett Cooney's Labor and Employment Law Practice Group Leader. A member of the firm's Bloomfield Hills office, Courtney counsels clients on best practices in the area of human resources and defends her clients' interests in litigation when it arises with respect to state and federal statutes, including ELCRA, FMLA, ADA and FLSA.
Claudia is one of the firm's most experienced employment law attorneys. A member of the firm's Detroit office, she works with for profit and nonprofit clients to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements, and she provides counsel on a range of issues from discipline/discharge, to complex ADA/FMLA leave issues, to claims of discrimination and harassment. She is also a tenacious litigator who aggressively defends claims filed against her clients.
As editors of The Sophisticated Employer, Courtney and Claudia guide blog content development based on issue spotting, trend analysis and client feedback. Their team of bloggers is committed to providing employers with the information they need to remain ahead of the legislative and regulatory curves in today’s business environment.
SubscribeRSS Plunkett Cooney LinkedIn Page Plunkett Cooney Twitter Page Plunkett Cooney Facebook Page
- Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC)
- Employment Discrimination
- Employment Liability
- Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Labor Law
- Human Resources
- Department of Labor (DOL)
- Wage & Hour
- Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
- National Labor Relations Act
- National Labor Relations Board
- Whistleblower Protection Act
- Hostile Work Environment
- Employment Agreement
- Transgender Issues
- Title VII
- Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- Minimum Wage
- Class Actions
- Workplace Harassment
- Department of Education (DOE)
- Title IX
- Tax Law
- Medical Marijuana
- Right to Work
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
- Union Organizing & Relations
- Does Your Company’s Employment Application Process Violate the ADA?
- Let me Tell You What I Just Heard…
- If at First You Don’t Succeed, Try... Try... Again
- URGENT UPDATE on Contractual Limitations Periods
- Does Your Company Require Employees to Accept a Shortened Contractual Limitations Period?
- Changes in Michigan law Require Employee Handbook Updates – NOW!
- Employer Delivers Potential Whistleblower Claim Victory to Employee… With A Bow!
- Wellness Plan Rules Under Attack
- Michigan Governor Signs Paid Medical Leave, Improved Workforce Opportunity Wage Acts
- ‘Tis the Season for Religious Accommodations