Past Event - Employment Law Seminar Focusing on Workplace Harassment
Employment Law Seminar
Originally Held: Nov. 17, 2023
Registration: 8 a.m. to 8:30 a.m.
Seminar: 8:30 a.m. to Noon
Location: Troy Marriott Hotel
200 W Big Beaver Rd, Troy, MI 48084 (248) 680-9797
Dark clouds and ominous lightning paint the sky above Plunkett Cooney’s fictional college nicknamed “Harassment U.” It’s a place where management, staff and even third-party vendors routinely draw penalties for their continued failures to address what amounts to rampant harassment on campus.
During this free, half-day seminar, the employment law attorneys of Plunkett Cooney journeyed through the once vibrant college town where HU is located and attempted to end the school’s history of workplace violations. There were plenty of “lessons learned” for private- and public-sector employers and HR professionals alike. Along the way, our attorneys answered questions and discussed what HU leaders should be doing to clean up their act and come into compliance with an array of state and federal laws.
The topics this session covered included:
- Application of new EEOC guidance to multiple fact patterns
- Understanding how harassment may persist in a virtual work environment
- Recommendations regarding proper investigation steps and processes for both public and private employers
- Discussions of various basis for employer liability and maximizing available affirmative defenses
- Identifying uncommon forms of harassment and ensuring employees are trained to properly report problematic behavior
- Documenting investigation outcomes and performance problems in the midst of harassment claims.
Who Should Attend?
This seminar was designed to benefit employers, human resource professionals and employment liability insurance providers. Harassment U can be a scary place!
Continuing Education Credits:
This Program was approved for 3.50 HR (General) recertification credit hours toward aPHR™, aPHRi™, PHR®, PHRca®, SPHR®, GPHR®, PHRi™ and SPHRi™ recertification through HR Certification Institute® (HRCI®). For more information about certification or recertification, please visit the HR Certification Institute website at www.hrci.org.
Plunkett Cooney is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CPSM or SHRM-SCPSM. This program is approved for 3.5 PDCs for the SHRM-CPSM or SHRM-SCPSM. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit www.shrmcertification.org.