John (Jack) P. Deegan is a partner in the firm’s Petoskey office who maintains a busy general defense litigation practice with expertise in the following areas:
- Ski area liability and risk assessment
- Motor vehicle negligence- third party and first party no fault litigation
- Product liability litigation
- Premises liability litigation
- Veterinarian and other professional malpractice litigation
- Workers’ compensation
- Property disputes, and commercial litigation
- Family law litigation
Mr. Deegan has obtained numerous successful defense trial verdicts, as well as defense dismissals by way of dispositive motion filings in his various practice areas.
Mr. Deegan has also been a featured speaker at various conferences and client seminars on a range of litigation issues and best practices instruction.
A lifelong skier and advocate for the ski industry, Mr. Deegan has attended and spoken at numerous conferences, as well as events focused on ski/snowboard terrain park safety and training and general resort management.
In addition, Mr. Deegan has the distinction of being a past president of the Association of Ski Defense Attorneys (ASDA).
Mr. Deegan’s practice also includes service as a case evaluator for numerous Northern Michigan Circuit Courts.
- State Bar of Michigan
- Emmet/Charlevoix County Bar Association
- Incorporated Society of Irish American Trial Lawyers
- Association of Ski Defense Attorneys (President, 2016-2017)
- MDTC- Northern Michigan Regional Chairperson representative
Publications & Lectures
- ALFA International 2021 Workers' Compensation Law Compendium, Michigan Chapter
- Association of Ski Defense Attorneys 2017 Winter Conference and Seminar, Host, Park City/Canyons Village, Utah, March 4–6, 2017
- 2017 National Ski Areas Association Winter Seminar Lecturer- Steamboat, Colorado.
- 2008-2018 Annual lecturer at Midwest Ski Areas Association annual summer conference.
- Ski/Snowboard Terrain Park Safety and Training, Midwest Ski Association Terrain Park Management Seminar, March 2008
- Federation Defense and Corporate Counsel Leadership Training seminar participant, 2008
- City of Harbor Springs Planning Commission (Member – Appointed)
- Member Holy Childhood Catholic Church
- Mr. Deegan is very active in the local running, triathlon and Nordic/Alpine/Telemark skiing community, including having 56 marathon finishes (including seven Boston Marathon finishes) and six Ironman Triathlon finishes.
Areas of Practice
- University of Detroit Mercy School of Law, J.D., 1995
- Albion College, B.A., 1992
- Michigan, 1996