John R. Stevenson is a senior attorney in Plunkett Cooney’s Commercial Litigation and Banking, Bankruptcy & Creditors’ Rights practice groups. He focuses his practice on the areas of commercial litigation, creditors’ rights, commercial bankruptcy, and auto supplier issues.
Throughout his nearly 20-year legal career, Mr. Stevenson has represented creditors, creditors’ committees, distressed businesses, and other parties in bankruptcy matters in various industries, including automotive, technology, telecommunications, construction, housing, and food service and hospitality.
Licensed to practice in the states of Michigan and California, Mr. Stevenson is also admitted to practice in the federal courts of the Eastern and Western Districts of Michigan and the Central and Northern Districts of California. He is a member of the Turnaround Management Association, a global organization of professionals in the corporate restructuring, renewal and corporate health space.
Representative Client Work
- Prosecuted preference and turnover actions in automotive supplier bankruptcy case, resulting in the recovery of over $1.6 million
- Negotiated and settled claims in telecommunications bankruptcy case, resulting in reduction of claims reserve by over $8 million
- Obtained summary judgment on objection to claim exceeding $700,000 for sales commissions based on quantum meruit and unjust enrichment
- Drafted motion for temporary restraining order and to show cause why preliminary injunction should not enter on behalf of automotive supplier client, which was granted by the Michigan Business Court
- Litigated objection to claim pertaining to price increase by supplier, resulting in settlement of less than 50% of asserted claim
- Researched and drafted technology sales agreement, accommodation agreement and bailment agreement for tier one auto supplier
- Advised corporate client regarding outsourcing agreement and import/export laws
- State Bar of Michigan
- State Bar of California
- Turnaround Management Association
- University of California, Hastings College of the Law, J.D., 2002
- University of Michigan, B.A., 1993
- Michigan, 2006
- California, 2002
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan, 2006
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan, 2006
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit, 2012
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California, 2019
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California, 2002
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, 2002