A senior attorney in Plunkett Cooney’s Transportation Law Practice Group, Maura B. Battersby represents national and regional insurance providers and their policyholders in automobile liability matters, including Michigan's No- Fault law and third-party motor vehicle negligence.
Ms. Battersby has experience litigating business, general liability, premises liability, product liability, wrongful death, property, workers’ compensation, and subrogation matters. She also has significant experience litigating criminal matters, representing juveniles in both delinquency and protective services proceedings, and advocating for the elderly and those living with mental illnesses in guardianship and commitment proceedings.
Ms. Battersby, who works in Plunkett Cooney's Bloomfield Hills office, is admitted to practice in Michigan and Wisconsin, as well as in the U.S. District Courts for the Eastern and Western districts of Wisconsin.
Representative Client Work
- Obtained summary disposition in multiple third-party matters by demonstrating the plaintiff’s allegations of negligence against the client were baseless
Obtained summary disposition in coordination of benefits disputes (including ERISA self-funded plans, automobile exclusion clauses, and short term and long-term disability) and in priority disputes regarding personal protection benefits and uninsured or underinsured motorist coverages
Resolved first-party matter during trial for six percent of demand and a waiver of future benefits following successful arguments on motions in limine
- Significant civil and criminal jury trial experience, including two, “no cause of action” verdicts, in third-party automobile matters, and two “not guilty” verdicts in criminal prosecutions
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- State Bar of Michigan
Women Lawyers Association of Michigan
Incorporated Society of Irish American Lawyers
Areas of Practice
- Marquette University Law School, J.D., 2009
- University of Michigan, B.A., 2006
- Wisconsin, 2009
- Michigan, 2014
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin, 2010
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin, 2010
Honors & Recognitions
- Thurgood Marshall Moot Court Invitational Competition, Top 16, 2009
- Jenkins Moot Court Competition Semifinalist, Honors Competition, 2008