Michael A. Fleming focuses his practice in the areas of banking and finance law, creditors' rights and bankruptcy.
Mr. Fleming represents clients in numerous aspects of commercial and secured transactions, including loan workouts, foreclosures and commercial loan collections, as well as business reorganizations, debtor and creditor’s rights, and probate and estate administration.
Mr. Fleming is an active member of the University of Michigan Club of Greater Detroit and the Turnaround Management Association. He previously served on the Debtor-Creditor Committee of the Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association, as well as on the Turnaround Management Association Board of Directors - Michigan District.
Representative Client Work
- Negotiated and obtained return of essential equipment from landlord for retail client without need for litigation.
- Negotiated and completed sale of apartment complex for bank after successful litigation for appointment of receiver and completion of foreclosure proceeding.
- Defended automotive supplier in a bankruptcy preference action; negotiated settlement of claim in excess of $1,000,000 for payment of $40,000.
- Defended automotive supplier in preference action seeking recovery of approximately $400,000; obtained dismissal of action with no payment by supplier.
- Represented a lending institution in a major loan workout, successfully completing the workout and receiving full payment within three months.
- State Bar of Michigan
- Turnaround Management Association (Member, Program Committee)
- American Bankruptcy Institute
Publications and Lectures
- "Buying and selling claims in bankruptcy" webinar, Lorman, presenter, Sept. 14, 2021
- "Current Issues in Commercial Collections" webinar, Lorman, Presenter, July 26, 2017
- University of Michigan Club of Greater Detroit (1990-present; Board of Governors, 1995-1999)
- Turnaround Management Association, Detroit Chapter (Board of Directors, 2000-2003)
- Member of Program Committee, Turnaround Management Association (2007-Present)
- American Heart Association, Eastern Wayne Division (Board of Directors, 1996-1999)
Areas of Practice
- Wayne State University Law School, cum laude, J.D., 1985
- University of Michigan-Dearborn, magna cum laude, B.A., 1982
- Michigan, 1985
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan, 1985
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan, 1988
Honors & Recognitions
- Best Lawyers in America® for Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law, 2015 - 2023
- Martindale-Hubbell’s highest rating-AV Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated
- Best Lawyers in America®, 09.08.2015