Seymour M. Nayer is a partner in the firm’s Business Department and the Banking, Transactions and Immigration Law practice groups.
Mr. Nayer’s practice is focused on the areas of banking, education, nonprofit law, corporate and health care law and insurance coverage, with an emphasis on all aspects of regulatory and corporate compliance.
Mr. Nayer worked for seven years in the Comerica Bank legal department, acquiring extensive experience in all aspects of the financial services industry.
He has represented financial institutions, schools, health care organizations and nonprofits over the years in compliance, contract and corporate matters.
Representative Client Work
- Formed a Michigan-chartered bank
- Advised charter schools with respect to compliance, governance, formation, reorganization and contracting
- Counseled large Michigan Medicaid HMO
- Counseled large hospital and youth services organizations on corporate and regulatory matters
- Advised a regional vision services company on numerous regulatory matters involving the Michigan Office of Financial and Insurance Regulation
- Wrote detailed compliance policies for large corporations
- Advised consumer finance companies on various compliance matters
- Advised state and national banks on acquisitions, bank powers, consumer credit, usury and related matters
- Advised insurance companies in major coverage litigation
- Advised health care clients on fraud and abuse, antitrust, and related compliance matters
- Successfully defended federal savings bank against allegations of illegal document preparation fees
- State Bar of Michigan (Business Law Section, Financial Institutions Committee of Business Law Section, Health Care Law Section)
- Wayne State University Law School, Adjunct Professor, Banking Law, 2001-2005, 2010
- Wayne State University Law School, Legal Writing Instructor, 1982-1985
- Merrill Palmer Skillman Institute for Child & Family Development, Board of Visitors
- Yale Alumni Association of Michigan
- Community Foundation for Southeast Michigan Legal/Financial Network Group
Areas of Practice
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D., 1979
- Yale University, B.A., 1976
- Michigan, 1979
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit, 1991
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit, 1993
Honors & Recognitions
- Martindale-Hubbell’s highest rating-AV Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated
- Federal stimulus law beefs up HIPAA penalties, extends compliance requirements to ‘business associates’02.26.2009
- Summer 2006 PC Business Advisor, 08.2006