Roderick Fracassi is a senior attorney in the firm's Transportation Law Practice Group who focuses his practice primarily on servicing the transactional, regulatory and litigation needs of clients in the trucking and logistics industries.
A member of the firm's Detroit office, Mr. Fracassi has over 17 years of experience in the transportation industry having served as chief counsel and assistant secretary of a $3.8 billion, multinational, less-than-truckload division of an American transportation and logistics company.
Mr. Fracassi defends litigation involving catastrophic injuries and fatalities on behalf of national motor and insurance carriers, and he serves as panel counsel for several Fortune 500 transportation companies.
Mr. Fracassi's transactional experience includes drafting, negotiating and enforcing contracts in a range of business capacities, including sales, licensing, vendor services and procurement. He has also collaborated with various levels of management to identify and communicate legal risks associated with transactions.
In addition, Mr. Fracassi has extensive experience drafting commercial agreements, implementing compliance programs, managing litigation and providing advice on labor and employment issues. His clients also rely upon him for counsel and representation in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, real estate, intellectual property, risk management and bankruptcy.
Representative Client Work
- Provided training to managers and senior executives on relevant legal trends and compliance matters
- Implemented a new contract review process that reduced turnaround time and expedited the execution of customer contracts
- Successfully represented trucking company in settlement negotiations with numerous federal and state agencies, including the Department of Transportation, Department of Justice, Occupational Safety and Health Administration and the Environmental Protection Agency
- Created tools to identify trends regarding alleged compliance violations and performed root cause analysis
- Provided day-to day-counsel on labor and employment matters impacting over 21,000 employees across North America
- Successfully performed legal work as a member of an initial 10-person team involved with the sale and merger and acquisition of business units involved in expedited service, logistics and truckload transportation services
- Successfully negotiated real estate transactions, including the lease of 150,000 square feet of Class A office space used as trucking company's world headquarters
Publications and Lectures
- "If You Want Your Day in Court, Make Sure Your Name is on the Bill of Lading," Author, The Transportation Lawyer, Volume 18, Number 5, April 2017
- State Bar of Michigan
- Transportation Lawyer’s Association
- American Trucking Association
- Chelsea Hockey Association, Advisor to Board of Directors
- Dexter Little League, Volunteer
- The Coliseum Figure Skating Club, Volunteer
- Dexter Community Aquatic Club, Treasurer
Areas of Practice
- Michigan State University College of Law, J.D., 1994
- Wayne State University, MBA, 1994
- Michigan, 1994