Nursing Home & Long-term Care Liability
Nursing home, assisted living and long-term care facility administrators trust Plunkett Cooney to aggressively defend their interests when they are targeted by litigation arising from resident care claims.
According to national trends, litigation is on the rise, and the long-term care industry is certainly not immune. Plunkett Cooney’s experienced trial attorneys are at the forefront of defending such claims in Michigan. They know when to advocate for early case resolution and when to press forward to trial.
Having earned the trust of several national and regional long-term care providers, Plunkett Cooney attorneys serve as litigation defense panel counsel. In this capacity, they routinely defend, either directly or through insurance providers, claims involving elopements, use of restraints, pharmaceutical dispensing issues, alleged slip and falls, nutrition based claims, alleged failure to report suspected abuse and pressure sore cases, among many others.
In addition to litigation defense services, Plunkett Cooney attorneys work with long-term care facility administrators and risk managers to proactively address patient safety issues and to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements.
With seven Michigan offices, Plunkett Cooney’s attorneys can quickly and cost-effectively respond to accidents and other incidents in order to document evidence and to conduct staff interviews, which are essential for establishing the attorney/client privilege. The firm’s geographic presence has resulted in our attorneys becoming extremely familiar with the local courts that adjudicate such matters.
Understanding the delicate yet complicated relationships that exist between long-term care providers, their residents and immediate family members – individuals who often continue to be valued customers regardless of the dispute at hand – Plunkett Cooney attorneys strive to resolve each case in a respectful, professional and effective manner.
View Team Members
- Successfully defended a nursing home wrongful death claim involving allegations of side rail positional asphyxia
- Successfully defended an adult foster care facility in a wrongful death claim where plaintiff’s decedent was murdered while out for a walk in the community. Plaintiff alleged that the facility failed to properly monitor and supervise a mentally disturbed resident
- PartnerEmail | (313) 983-4802
- Nurse ConsultantEmail | (248) 901-4083
- PartnerEmail | (810) 342-7014
- Partner, Practice Group LeaderEmail | (248) 594-4281
- Partner/Director of Diversity & InclusionEmail | (313) 983-4751
- Nurse ConsultantEmail | (248) 594-6962
- Associate, Practice Group LeaderEmail | (313) 983-4313
- Crain's Detroit Business, 10.29.2018
- Michigan Lawyers Weekly, 10.26.2012