Michael D. Hanchett is an associate attorney in the firm's Insurance Coverage, Government Law and Construction Law practice groups.
A member of the Bloomfield Hills office, Mr. Hanchett represents leading property, auto and casualty insurance companies in coverage cases throughout the Midwest. His coverage work primarily involves litigation regarding general liability insurance policy claims pertaining to environmental contamination, property damage, arson, construction defect and automobile liability.
Mr. Hanchett's practice also includes representing municipalities in both state and federal courts in police and jail liability claims, first amendment law, due process claims, Open Meetings Act claims, FOIA claims, zoning matters and employment litigation. Mr. Hanchett has extensive experience providing general counsel services to municipalities.
In addition, Mr. Hanchett has experience in alleged design defect and personal injury litigation in the construction industry. He represents architectural design firms, general contractors, subcontractors, owners and developers directly and through their insurance providers.
Representative Client Work
- Successfully represented insurer in additional insured coverage action arising out of a slip and fall at shopping complex that allegedly resulted in a significant injury to plaintiff
- Successfully represented insurer on a property insurance claim involving suspected arson
- Successfully represented insurer in litigation involving environmental contamination claims
- Obtained summary judgment in federal court for officers on alleged excessive force and illegal search and seizure claims based on qualified immunity where the plaintiff sought over $5 million in compensatory and punitive damages
- Successfully represented county jail officers in federal court regarding excessive force claims brought by inmate with the court granting summary judgment on all charges
- Substantial experience working with municipal boards and commissions, defending their actions and designing rules of procedure to guide their activities
- Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association
- Detroit Young Professionals
- Oakland County Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan
- American Bar Association
- DRI- The Voice of the Defense Bar
Publications and Lectures
- Macomb Community College Police and Fire Leadership Program, Speaker, March 2020
- "Practical Law" television show discussing issues facing police departments with body cameras, Featured Speaker, April 2018
- "The Law Enforcement Body-Worn Camera Privacy Act: the Implications for Police Departments and How They Can Stay Ahead of the Curve," Author, Oakland County Bar Association Laches magazine, January 2018
- Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity
Areas of Practice
- University of Toledo College of Law, J.D., 2016
- Ferris State University, B.S., 2013
- Michigan, 2016
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan, 2016
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan, 2021
Honors & Recognitions
Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch recognition, 2021-2022