Michael D. Hanchett is an associate attorney in the firm's Insurance Coverage and Construction Law practice groups.
A member of the Bloomfield Hills office, Mr. Hanchett represents leading property, auto and casualty insurance companies in coverage cases throughout the Midwest. His coverage work primarily involves litigation regarding general liability insurance policy claims pertaining to environmental contamination, property damage, arson, construction defect and automobile liability.
Mr. Hanchett's practice also includes alleged design defect and personal injury litigation in the construction industry. He represents architectural design firms, general contractors, subcontractors, owners and developers directly and through their insurance providers.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Hanchett developed expertise in the areas of civil rights, municipal law and local government liability. He served as outside counsel to several Michigan municipalities, successfully litigating disputes in state and federal court involving police liability cases, First Amendment issues, employment claims and land use disputes.
Representative Client Work
- Represented insurer on a property insurance claim involving suspected arson
- Represented insurer in litigation involving environmental contamination claims
- Obtained summary judgment in federal court for officers on alleged excessive force and illegal search and seizure claims based on qualified immunity where the plaintiff sough over $5 million in compensatory and punitive damages
- Represented county jail officers in federal court regarding excessive force claims brought by inmate with the court granting summary judgment on all charges
- Substantial experience working with municipal boards and commissions, defending their actions and designing rules of procedure to guide their activities
- Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association
- Detroit Young Professionals
- Oakland County Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan
- American Bar Association
City of Berkley Zoning Board of Appeals
Publications and Lectures
- Macomb Community College Police and Fire Leadership Program, Speaker, March 2020
- "Practical Law" television show discussing issues facing police departments with body cameras, Featured Speaker, April 2018
- "The Law Enforcement Body-Worn Camera Privacy Act: the Implications for Police Departments and How They Can Stay Ahead of the Curve," Author, Oakland County Bar Association Laches magazine, January 2018
- Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity
Areas of Practice
- University of Toledo College of Law, J.D., 2016
- Ferris State University, B.S., 2013
- Michigan, 2016
Honors & Recognitions
2021 Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch recognition