Thomas L. Cooper is the Managing Partner of Plunkett Cooney's Marquette, Michigan office. He also maintains a significant practice in the northern lower Michigan community of Petoskey and other surrounding jurisdictions.
National and international insurance providers retain Mr. Cooper to represent their policyholders in insurance defense disputes, complex litigation and cases alleging exposure to mold/toxins. He has built a successful motion and trial practice in such areas as general litigation, commercial liability, product liability and construction-related disputes, including claims involving architect and engineer liability.
Many of Mr. Cooper's cases involve complex issues and high exposure amounts. He routinely defends claims alleging significant property damage, catastrophic injuries and deaths, as well as intricate disputes involving insurance coverage.
Representative Client Work
- Successfully represented contractors and engineers in multi-million dollar construction cases
- Serves as regional counsel for a number of insurers in insurance coverage and litigation matters
- Successfully defended commercial property owners/operators in environmental actions involving significant property and remediation claims
- Recently obtained eight consecutive no cause and directed verdicts
- Successfully defended manufacturers in complex and catastrophic personal injury cases
- Charlevoix County Bar Association
- Emmet County Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan
- Michigan Defense Trial Counsel
- American Bar Association
- Western Michigan University Cooley Law School, J.D., 1990
- Lake Superior University, B.A., 1987
- Michigan, 1990
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan, 1992
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan, 1992
Honors & Recognitions
- Martindale-Hubbell’s highest rating-AV Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated
- American Jurisprudence Awards in Constitutional Law, Criminal Procedure and Education Law