Charles L. Bogren is a Co-leader of Plunkett Cooney's Governmental Law Practice Group who focuses primarily in this complex and diverse area of the law and related litigation.
A member of the firm’s Grand Rapids office, Mr. Bogren’s expertise includes the defense of municipalities and other public entities in First Amendment disputes, due process claims, Open Meetings Act and Freedom of Information Act matters, civil rights cases and employment-related litigation.
In addition to his public sector practice, Mr. Bogren has extensive experience handling general business litigation, including bankruptcy, commercial disputes, real estate and insurance coverage with an emphasis on matters stemming from bankruptcy filings.
Admitted to practice law in Michigan’s state and federal courts, Mr. Bogren is a member of multiple sections of the State Bar of Michigan, including the Government Law, Business Law and Litigation divisions.
Representative Client Work
- Represented municipal governments, corporations, partnerships and other businesses in commercial and employment matters, including cases concerning contract claims, fraudulent transfers and shareholder oppression suits
- Counseled government clients on matters ranging from public/private partnerships to the inception of a police force to the drafting of proposed millage rate increases
- Drafted local ordinances and advised municipalities and building authorities on land use disputes and zoning issues
- Kalamazoo County Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan (Business Law, Government Law and Litigation sections)
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Special Olympics of Michigan
- Kalamazoo County Bar Association Legal Aid Clinic
- University of Kansas Law School, J.D., 2018
- University of Michigan, B.A., 2012
- Illinois, 2021
- Michigan, 2018
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, 2018
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan, 2018
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 2021
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan, 2021
Honors & Recognitions
- Kansas Journal of Law & Public Policy, Business Manager and Staff Editor
- University of Kansas School of Law Moot Court Council, Member