- Medical Litigation
- Birth Trauma Litigation
- Continuing Education
- Extended Care Facilities
- Medical Mass Torts/Class Actions
- Medical Rapid Response Team
- Sexual Assault Allegations
- State Medical Investigations
Practice Group Leader(s)
View Practice Group Members
The members of Plunkett Cooney's Medical Litigation Practice Group include attorneys, nurses, paralegals, litigation support personnel and library staff, all of whom provide a comprehensive approach to defending claims.
Attorneys in this practice group have handled every type of claim that can be brought against a healthcare professional or provider. Their experience includes complex and high exposure claims brought in the circuit and federal district courts, as well as representation of healthcare professionals undergoing investigations by medical boards and the offices of state attorneys general.
When an injury involves the potential for catastrophic damages, the members of Plunkett Cooney's Medical Litigation Group create a team of specialists, including life care planners, economists and focus groups to analyze the pertinent issues and to minimize potential damages.
Should a matter proceed to trial, Plunkett Cooney’s attorneys work with their litigation support team to produce high-impact visual presentations to assist the jury with understanding the complexities of the medical issues involved.
Many of the group's attorneys have particular expertise in specific medical disciplines, and several have educational backgrounds in medical fields. Their intimate knowledge of highly technical medical procedures, treatments and healthcare policies are front-line assets in the defense of claims alleging medical malpractice.
Plunkett Cooney’s clients include physicians in general and specialized practice, pharmacists, chiropractors, dentists, podiatrists, psychologists, psychiatrists, hospitals and their employees, medical clinics, mental health facilities and extended care facilities. The group also has the distinction of serving as defense panel counsel for some of the nation’s leading medical malpractice insurance providers.
- McGiffert among 2017 ‘Notable Women Lawyers’ in Michigan
- Plunkett Cooney named among ‘Best Law Firms’ In America
- Plunkett Cooney attorneys among legal industry ‘Rising Stars’
- Plunkett Cooney attorneys among Michigan ‘Super Lawyers’
- Plunkett Cooney attorneys among 2018 ‘Best Lawyers in America’
- McGiffert to receive award from State Bar Negligence Law Section
- Appellate Court Rules all NOI Challenges in Medical Malpractice Cases Must be Made at Time Defendant First Responds to Complaint
- Appellate Court Held That Nurse Practitioners and Registered Nurses are Different Health Professions
- Recoverable Expenses May No Longer Exceed Actual Damages From Alleged Medical Malpractice
- Michigan Supreme Court Addresses Reliability of Expert Opinion on Standard of Care
- Supreme Court Rules Objective Facts in Hospital Incident Reports Protected by Michigan's Statutory Peer-Review Privilege
- Appellate Court Ruling may Lead to Increased Liability Against Mental Health Professionals in 'False Memory' Cases